Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I started my trip around Australia with my 2007 Walkabout CRD a few weeks ago. In Sydney U had dawes & Needle valve fitted, EGR blocked, the intercooler replaced (just better welded) and a Scotts Pipe 3" without CAT installed and last but not least VDO gauges. All done by a reputable workshop that does a lot of work for the 4WD club in Sydney I was in.

I drove from Sydney via Brisbane(Fraser) to Alice Springs where I am now and I am a bit worried about my EGT readings.

I average around 450-500 *C at 100km/h with 12 psi on the dawes valve. The vehicle is heavy loaded with all my gear, roofrack but I dont tow. Its auto transmission.

Unfortunately I dont have any EGT readings from before as I had it all installed at once (I travel from overseas). I can only read through other posts and be worried because those people seem to run around 350-450 *C.

It also seems the more turbo I allow (turn the Needle valve) the lower the EGT gets - is that correct or just coincidental?

Thanks for your help.

Phil

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Hey PGU,
If you can turn the boost up just a little with the needle valve, then you will bring the EGTs down a bit.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Also where abouts is the EGT probe installed in the exhaust system? Is it pre-turbo (in Manifold) or post turbo (in dump pipe)? Most likely it is in the dump pipe as that is the easier option, especially for a workshop.... so those temps probably are a bit high, so try as Geordie suggested and I'm sure others will pipe in.

If it is in the exhaust manifold those temps would be relatively fine as there is approx a 200*c temp drop through the turbo.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Try tweaking your boost to around 15psi.

Awesome to hear that not only do you have the Dawes and needle fitted; but also that you know how to adjust them.

Reactions: PGU

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The probe is installed post Turbo in the dump pipe. Dont know how far.

I will try to play a but with the Needle valve. What is considered a safe psi Setting? What are the implications if I run i.e. 15psi? Is it just more fuel usage or anything else I dont think of?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Given the fact that you're loaded I wouldn't be worried about temps that you are getting. I've set my dawes for max 14Psi and I will see temps around your figures.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
What is your Dawes set to max out at? If it's only 12 PSI and this is the reading you get at 100 km/h then tweaking the needle valve won't do anything except increase your spool up to your max boost. I would tweak your Dawes valve so you sit on 15 PSI when doing 100km/h on a flat road. I have my Dawes set to 18 PSI max (it does creep to 20 when under full load up a hill though) and when i'm doing 100km/h it's running 15 PSI boost with EGT's about 300-310 degrees C. I used to notice the boost sitting on 15 PSI when I ran ECU-controlled boost with fluctuations to 22 PSI. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2005 gu
217 Posts
I don't run a dawes valve set up and my temps are slightly lower (CRD also) then what your getting, when im towing my CT with all my gear etc, I generally have my egt's at about 550 +/-, also at around 12psi, I don't think that your temps are to high at all .

They seem pretty average for the CRD's, im in the process now of going thru a few steps to lower them, starting with one of Barneys scoops, to see how that goes, and then IC etc.

Ned

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok back in civilization - or at least Telstra coverage...

I spooled up the Valve to 16 psi (spiking to around 18psi) and EGT has dropped around 50° to 70° depending on situation. Would a turbo pressure of 16 to 18 psi be something I can run with or is 18psi too much?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
That is fine. You might find limp mode in the morning though so just keep so eye out just in case.

I run 16-18 and it's quite a popular choice.

·
Registered
Nissan
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In case it limps in the morning I just take it easy or is there anything else?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
If it limps just take your foot off and reapply. You can either slow your spool up down by opening your needle valve maybe 1/8 turn, or lower your boost a tad via the dawes

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
If it limps just take your foot off and reapply. You can either slow your spool up down by opening your needle valve maybe 1/8 turn, or lower your boost a tad via the dawes
Doesn't work on a CRD, they latch!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts