Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried one of these?

Wonder how much difference it makes with your typical 4wd compressor.

·
Registered
nissan
540 Posts
I'd be interested to know if when you remove the pin will your compressor be able to push hard enough to compensate the extra air pressure already in the tyre.?.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,627 Posts
What is the flow limit imposed by a tyre valve with core fitted, versus without? If your compressor can't max out the valve with the core in it, removing the valve core is not going to make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
The pressure will be the same if the tyre has 30 psi with a valve core, it will still have 30 psi without a valve core, the difference between the two is the flow rate, as with no valve core, you remove a restriction, when deflating, it is obvious the valve is a massive restriction to air flow and so the speed of deflation.

This is a problem ive found with TPMS on the 62, even with the valve core removed, it takes ages to deflate a tyre (compared to non TPMS) thanks to the restriction imposed by the TPMS sensor, same goes for inflating, its a slower process, but not as noticeable on inflation, because you have the valve core in place as a restriction in both TPMS and non TPMS vehicles.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The video in the link shows a massive increase in inflation speed but thats off a workshop compressor.
Ive just orderd one for a Christmas present for my old man so ill report back some time in the new year once we have tested it out.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,627 Posts
The video in the link shows a massive increase in inflation speed but thats off a workshop compressor.
Ive just orderd one for a Christmas present for my old man so ill report back some time in the new year once we have tested it out.
I await the results with interest. Do you have a suitably small, crappy compressor to test it with? Something like these:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
I maybe missing something here but I'm not sure I need anything like that device, after research I replaced my earlier big red (had since 90's) with a DR Air Pro Flow 150, it pumps a tyre from 15psi to 40psi in two minutes, one of the slowest parts of the exercise was screwing the damned supplied fitting onto the valve, I replaced this with a clip on not long after buying this and that was quite a few years ago, how much time is it really going to save?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I maybe missing something here but I'm not sure I need anything like that device, after research I replaced my earlier big red (had since 90's) with a DR Air Pro Flow 150, it pumps a tyre from 15psi to 40psi in two minutes, one of the slowest parts of the exercise was screwing the damned supplied fitting onto the valve, I replaced this with a clip on not long after buying this and that was quite a few years ago, how much time is it really going to save?
Is that for a 31" tyre thats only 10" wide, roughly? How long would said compressor take to pump up a 33x12.5x15 or a 35 for that matter?
I know it seems like such a trivial thing an extra couple of minutes after a day wheeling. But its always a chore no matter how quick you can do it. So anything that can make the job of airing up quicker will have a market.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Is that for a 31" tyre thats only 10" wide, roughly? How long would said compressor take to pump up a 33x12.5x15 or a 35 for that matter?
I know it seems like such a trivial thing an extra couple of minutes after a day wheeling. But its always a chore no matter how quick you can do it. So anything that can make the job of airing up quicker will have a market.
Actually closer to 32", I see no reason why a 33" would take anything seriously longer, 35's yes.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick calculation comparing 31x10.5x16 and 33x12.5x15 gives me more than 33% more litres in the larger tyre.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Just a quick calculation comparing 31x10.5x16 and 33x12.5x15 gives me more than 33% more litres in the larger tyre.
2min x 33% makes around 40 seconds, :).

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,234 Posts
I used to have an ARB blue tongue compressor. I could time it perfectly to pump up 35 tyres. Half a can of beer, per man, per tyre, perhaps.

Now have compressor from Aldi for years. Saves me beer. Probably two sips per tyre.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to be clear where i got that from i have just gone the volume of a cylinder with tyre dimensions minus volume of a cylinder for rim dimension. I know this isnt super accurate but for comparison i think its fair.

So 31x10.5x16 gives 6313 cubic inch
Tyre - 7921 a 16x8 rim 1607

33x12.5x15 gives 9184 cubic inch
Tyre - 10v685 a 15x8.5 rim 1501
31% more than 31x10.5x15

35x12.5x15 gives 10519 cubic inch
Tyre - 12020 and a 15x8.5 rim 1501
13% larger than 33x12.5x15
40% larger than 31x10.5x16

Well that surprised me so happy to have my calculations scrutinized.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,513 Posts
I have a "valve cap" with a core removal tool on top. It's a little tool that I ended up with at some point (can't remember where I got it from) when I was an avid mountain biker running tubeless tyres 15-odd years ago. The idea is that you screw it on to your mountain bike wheel instead of a normal valve cap and when you get a flat, you unscrew the core before inflating with a CO2 cartridge. It's quite difficult to reset a tubeless bicycle tyre bead, so removing the core is important as you need all the help you can get.

I now have this, screwed on to a spare valve stem, in my glove box. I normally unscrew the core when deflating, but like most people here seem to indicate, inflating with or without a valve core doesn't make a significant difference when using a 12V compressor.

Also, I try to limit the number of times I remove the core, because if you drop it in the sand/mud, you're in s...t.

Didn't cost me anywhere near $66, though...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2min x 33% makes around 40 seconds, :).
I would hazard a guess (and im happy to be shown otherwise) that the relationship between volume and pressure isnt linear.

Anyway like i said im happy to test it out and report back with some more beer coaster science.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,726 Posts
That would be Ok if you only did beach off roading, but I don't think it would last too long in the scrub & rocks.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That would be Ok if you only did beach off roading, but I don't think it would last too long in the scrub & rocks.
Would be nice for a thru the hub design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts