1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Matt's alternator has carked itself.

Need to go to a wreckers tomorrow and get a replacement.

Is there anything that can be bolted straight on OTHER than original?

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Might be easier to go to auto electrician, I have a subaru leone one on mine which needed spaces to line it up and its still not putting out much grunt.
Whats wrong, is it the diode pack or stator?
If they replace stator with a delta one instead of a star one you may get a higher output current also. I love the wreckers for panels and stuff my misses says the car smells like a wrecking yard cause that's where most of it came from but for things with bearings and electricals no way. I would replace the bearings and go over all the windings and insulation first or get your existing one sorted.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Stick with the same one muzz
Maybe something of the other L28 powered cars (280C,Z car ect) could bolt up the same

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guy's.

Our story of woe is;

Previous owner ([email protected]) had the original alt. modded for higher output but the result was it wouldn't charge at idle. Always given me the irrits!

Matt recently replaced the battery. The new battery was larger(physically) then the previous one and now fills the original battery box.

[email protected] had also fitted one of those massive bronze/brass multi-point clamp's on the pos. side.

Unbeknown to us, the new battery length had moved this monster clamp forward in the engine bay. This meant that when the bonnet was closed, the clamp was hard-up against the bonnet 'rails' on the underside. Because the sound/heat proofing bonnet lining was squished between clamp and bonnet, there was no shorting.

This changed the other night when, it would appear, the lining finally wore through and KABOOM! Loss of all power, backfire, no charge. The monster terminal looks like someone was trying to start an arc with a stick welder!

I suspect the diode pack has blown but am open to ideas.

Bottom line is, the alternator is not charging at all.

Someone else on the forum suggested rebuilding the old one by filling it with high output Bosch stuff rather than replacing it.

Might go that route I think.

Thanks again.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
L28s are a b*tch to when the battery starts dropping power

1 - 6 of 6 Posts