Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front axle shaft seal Which way round? & What about those flat rubber disc seals

I'm just rebuilding my swivel housing on my '91 Y60 axle , I have pulled out the old halfshaft diff oil seal and the new one is a slightly different design (in a complete kit from Aus) and I'm not sure whether the side where you can see the spring faces in or out. Also the area the seal sits in seems way deeper than the seal is, do I just tap it in part way so that there is enough gap behind it to get it out again one day? is that the idea of there being a generous space?

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, it seems to sort of have two lips, here's a pic, just want to make absolutely sure i do it right because once its in, its in!

Other side

Oh and one other thing.. there are rubber/metal seals , sort of flat disc things, inboard of the swivel bearings, I bent them getting them out and they look impossible to get back in, so I was going to just leave them out, OK? or bad? What are they actually there for?

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Hmm, it seems to sort of have two lips, here's a pic, just want to make absolutely sure i do it right because once its in, its in!

Other side

Oh and one other thing.. there are rubber/metal seals , sort of flat disc things, inboard of the swivel bearings, I bent them getting them out and they look impossible to get back in, so I was going to just leave them out, OK? or bad? What are they actually there for?
Oh and one other thing.. there are rubber/metal seals , sort of flat disc things, inboard of the swivel bearings

They are a seal to prevent what ever grease/crud/etc thats in the ball section contaminating the swivwl /kingpin bearings , bought 4 the other week, at about $30.00 each!
Cheers Greg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I couldn't work out, if the grease is good enough for the CV joint, surely its good enough if it winds up in the swivel bearings?

Do they have to go in before pressing in the swivel bearing outer race ? Because I put my ones in using a bolt and washers meaning I'd have to do it a different way if so.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
78 Posts
I'm fairly sure the spring goes to the wheel side not the diff side, just did mine a couple of months ago but I'm only 60% sure if thats much help, also it should go the whole way in 60% sure again lol.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a swivel housing kit, I just about sh17 when I heard the price of the king pin plugs from Nissan ~$120 for all four! That's more than I paid for the swivel housing kit. What I've done is got some 1-5/8 brass welsh domes and squashed them between two pieces of wood in a vice until they were the perfect seating diameter and then used temp and grease proof silastic to seal them in.

The plugs serve two purposes I can see, separate HTB from LMM grease and to stop crud that's entered your CV housing from entering your king pin bearings as well. The spring side of the seal goes in towards the diff center. Just think how would you get it out if put it in the other way around...

·
Registered
93 SWB Maverick
1,393 Posts
I'm fairly sure the spring goes to the wheel side not the diff side, just did mine a couple of months ago but I'm only 60% sure if thats much help, also it should go the whole way in 60% sure again lol.
The springs in Oil seals ALWAYS go to the oil side. So the flat side is on the outer side and the spring side facing the centre of the diff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts