Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bit of a quiz (cause i am bored) to see who can guess the reason why or who knows

Your vehicle has a dead flat battery & you take it out of the vehicle & charge it on a battery charger

When you refit it to the vehicle the fusible link blows

Why

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
voltage spike when you reconnected the batteries would be my guess. or you have managed to short out the battery with the spanner when doing it up.
do you put the positive or negative terminal on first???

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope

Connected the positive first & nothing shorted

I will give you a hint

The fusible link blew as soon as the second lead was attached

Regards Don

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another hint

You replace the link,refit the terminals & the same thing happens

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
well now thats a different story. id say you have a short somewhere.
is it the fusable like that comes from the alt by any chance?
as assuming yours is a 4.2 there is bugger all fusable links in them. one for glow plugs, alt, starter relay, and i guess main power. i think that has them all covered.
possible short in the altenater???

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't got this problem but it can happen with any vehicle

We were talking at work today after one of the other blokes had replaced a fusible link on a hilux (not for this problem) & i asked the service manager if he had come across this problem before & he said he had but not very often

I first saw it happen about 15 years ago

Bored tonight so i thought i would put it on the forum & when someone gets the answer it will be something worth remembering in the future if this happens to someone

Regards Don

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fusible link is correct one for the vehicle and lets say battery voltage is 12.6 volts

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
143 Posts
If it has to do with charging the battery on the bench, then it is possible to have charged the battery in reverse if it was flat enough to begin with.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it has to do with charging the battery on the bench, then it is possible to have charged the battery in reverse if it was flat enough to begin with.
We have a winner :D

You say to the apprentice charge this battery,he connects the charger leads up to the wrong terminals & the battery charges in reverse

You fit it to the vehicle but when the terminals are connected the link blows because it has been connected with reverse polarity

Bugger to work out why the link keeps blowing until you realise what has happened

Regards Don

1 - 20 of 63 Posts