Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently respraying my gq ute id like to do 2 black racing strips over the bonnet roof and down the rear wall. the thing im not shure of is should i do the with paint or with sticker and pros and cons. Ant help would be great im a fist time painter cheers.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
vinal stickers,

easier to do, and the plus side, if you get sick of them.. just peel them off.
if you paint the stripes, and you dont want them, you gotta paint the whole thing.

IMHO, simex centerpeed stickers going diagnoally accross the car would look far better,
making sure the distance between the 2 stickers, are the same as say a patrol's tracks or somethign similar.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
definately stickers. I had a sticker business for years and did plenty of these stripe jobs. cheats way is to look for a signwriters supply business near you and head there and buy the GOOD vinyl, not the cheap option and a good squeegie ( they will have 1 that is plastic with a cloth/pad use the cloth side so you dont scratch the vinyl). the price isnt that different but if you ever want to remove them it is everything plus they wont deteriorate as quik. you will need the best for the bonnet as it copes heat from above and below.
cut the vinyl to width using a good 1 mtr metal ruler, park your truck in the shade,mark where you want the stripes to sit with masking tape or a crayon ;), spray the front and back of the vinyl with a small hand sprayer with 3 drops of dishwasing liquid in it as well as the bonnet etc. dont be afraid to use heaps of water. fit the stripes in the longest section/length you can and squeegie the water out as you go from 1 end to the other. the water will evaporate out from under the vinyl in a few days so dont stress if there is any bubbles in vinyl.

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stickers are sounding good. Any idea on what this would cost to get a sticker place to do it purple bus?

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
I sold my business approx 7yrs ago, so not sure on the cost of the vinyls now, but we would of charged around the $200 mark but I would of been a bit cheaper as i have always been a patrol man. now i would probably expect around the $300 mark depending on your area. it would be worth ringing a few signwriters and stripe companies. the stripe guys phone numbers you would be able to get from your local panel shop. if you have any dramas i can always get them cut for you down here and post em up if you want to have a go at fitting them as my mate is still in the trade.
we did a mate gq with 2 sets of stripes both sets were a 10mm stripe-10mm gap-approx 200 wide stripe-10mm gap-10 mm stripe. they can cut it all in 1 piece and it goes on as 1 panel on each side of the bonnet. will try and dig out a pic if i can.

·
Registered
nissan gu 4.5 patrol
101 Posts
I'm a signwriter by trade, would deffinetly recommend vinyl stripes over paint, we use the good quality vinyl and have done a few racing stripes myself, as for price we would charge around the $300 mark installed, if it were just supplied stripes cut to shape, would be around $150ish (depends how much vinyl it uses) good luck installing them if ya do it yourself and post up some finished photos,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts