Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can they be swapped?

What i mean is, I've recently put a PWR radiator in my GU (4.2TDi) and it came with a 16psi pressure rated cap. From the factory the radiator cap isn't pressurised, rather the reservoir bottle holds the pressure and has the spring mechanism on the cap.

Is it possible to put this pressure cap on the radiator, and put the original radiator cap (non-pressurised) on the reservoir bottle instead, or will this disrupt the cooling systems performance?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
hey mate......why?? I think you should leave the releif cap where it is, when it blows off it goes into the recovery bottle under the header tank.If you didn't run the releif cap there you wouldn't presursize the system. You could put what ever cap you like at the radiator because it has no over flow outlet on the neck of the top tank(hence just the sealing cap).

·
Registered
Nissan GU III 4.2 TDi
171 Posts
Radiator Caps

Can they be swapped?

What i mean is, I've recently put a PWR radiator in my GU (4.2TDi) and it came with a 16psi pressure rated cap. From the factory the radiator cap isn't pressurised, rather the reservoir bottle holds the pressure and has the spring mechanism on the cap.

Is it possible to put this pressure cap on the radiator, and put the original radiator cap (non-pressurised) on the reservoir bottle instead, or will this disrupt the cooling systems performance?

Cheers
As petefire427 said, best to leave as is, UNLESS the replacement radiator has an overflow hose adaptor in the neck of the cap fitting. In other words, if the replacement radiator is designed to have an overflow to a recovery tank fed from the cap fitting then there is no problem with swapping the original non-pressure cap to the recovery tank. The thing to ensure is that the cap fitted to the radiator is one which allows the overflow coolant to be sucked back into the header tank as the coolant cools. If in doubt, go to your nearest reputable radiator shop for advice on your particular installation.

·
Registered
Nissan GU III 4.2 TDi
171 Posts
Radiator caps.

Aussiead. Not all GU 4.2 TD Patrols have the same radiator. Some have cross flow radiators and some, like my 2003 TDi, have vertical flow type. Without knowing which you have and how your replacement radiator is configured it is not possible to give a categoric YES or NO answer. Like I said previously, if in doubt go to a radiator shop where they can see what is what, and ask for their advice.

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input guys.

The only reason I asked is because I've had a number of people tell me they prefer to have the pressure cap on the radiator, but when I asked why they had no real answer for it.

But thanks guys, seems there's no real reason to swap them so I'll just leave it as is.

Aussiead. Not all GU 4.2 TD Patrols have the same radiator. Some have cross flow radiators and some, like my 2003 TDi, have vertical flow type. Without knowing which you have and how your replacement radiator is configured it is not possible to give a categoric YES or NO answer. Like I said previously, if in doubt go to a radiator shop where they can see what is what, and ask for their advice.
Im not exactly sure, but it has the tall, skinny radiator aposed to the wide radiator (2003 model coil-cab) so i'd assume its a vertical flow?

Cheers
Aussiead

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys bumping an old thread here because I have the same question as the OP but was just looking for some clarification.

I have a 2004 td42ti with a PWR radiator and there is both a pressure relief cap on the radiator and overflow tank. I've attached pictures.

Reading up and around forums I have seen that one cap should be a blanking cap and the other a pressure relief cap. This is also subject to weather the radiator itself has an overflow line running from the neck of the radiator.

So looking at my radiator it looks like I have an overflow hose running from the side of the radiator to the overflow tank? So this means I should put a blanking cap on the overflow tank? Or have I got it the wrong way around?

I have attached pictures where you can see a thinnish hose running from the top of my radiator to the overflow bottle.

Attachments

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
I would suggest the cap in pic 1 should be on the top plastic tank in pic 2, the cap on the radiator should be just a sealing cap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks mate, that is indeed what appears to be on forums.. manuals etc.. It's troubling not knowing though for sure as it's been like this for years as far as I can tell but has never had any over heating issues even with 6 days of heat at Fraser Island.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I've answered this for myself..

On closer inspection at the neck of the pwr radiator is a bung which looks like it 'could' have been used as overflow but it hasn't.

So I've put a blank cap on the rad and the old 16 psi cap on the overflow tank.

Let's see if it blows up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,469 Posts
I think I've answered this for myself..

On closer inspection at the neck of the pwr radiator is a bung which looks like it 'could' have been used as overflow but it hasn't.

So I've put a blank cap on the rad and the old 16 psi cap on the overflow tank.

Let's see if it blows up.
In your pic I can see the hose running from the passenger side of the radiator around the airbox and into the top plastic tank where the pressure cap should be, this allows coolant to expand and flow into the bottom plastic tank that only has a screw cap because there is no pressure in this tank, when the engine cools any coolant that was pushed into the lower tank is sucked back into the system through the thin hose from under the pressure cap head over to the bottom of the lower tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In your pic I can see the hose running from the passenger side of the radiator around the airbox and into the top plastic tank where the pressure cap should be, this allows coolant to expand and flow into the bottom plastic tank that only has a screw cap because there is no pressure in this tank, when the engine cools any coolant that was pushed into the lower tank is sucked back into the system through the thin hose from under the pressure cap head over to the bottom of the lower tank.
Cheers man, that's my understanding too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts