Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rad cracked the other day, and I bought a new one, but when I went to put it in I noticed the stock one has this weird hose connecting one side of the rad to the other. Can anybody tell me what it is? The new rad didn't come with nipples for it and I've never seen something like this before. Is it important?

Here's some pics of the hose and both ends.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
244 Posts
So my rad cracked the other day, and I bought a new one, but when I went to put it in I noticed the stock one has this weird hose connecting one side of the rad to the other. Can anybody tell me what it is? The new rad didn't come with nipples for it and I've never seen something like this before. Is it important?

Here's some pics of the hose and both ends.

View attachment 538686 View attachment 538687 View attachment 538688
Maybe an automatic transmission cooler built into the radiator. What comes out if you disconnect the hose??

·
Registered
2001 Auto TD42T
73 Posts
I wouldn't say wrong radiator, many people with autos seem to prefer bypassing it. Maybe you can bypass the radiator and install a seperate transmission cooler under the car?

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a valid case for totally bypassing the radiator when cooling an auto trans.
If the transmission section of the radiator gets a leak from the radiator coolant then it is likely game over for your auto trans.

I have bypassed the radiator trans section of all my radiators And used a separate trans cooler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was thinking about going that direction anyway because I doubt I'm going to be able to return the radiator I bought. Also it's so shiny! It would be a shame to not use it... especially if it gives me an excuse to upgrade the transmissions cooling as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts