Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So silly me snapped best part of the top radiator outlet off. Going away next weekend with the camper and need to get the radiator fixed.
Dilemma is, local Natrad has quoted me $200 to rod the radiator and fit new top tank(me removing and reinstalling. Yes I have trust issues when it comes to others working on my rig)... or do I fork out for an all alloy unit as an "upgrade" that will more than likely cost a bit more and unsure on brands and quality with purchase more than likely going to be an online job.

Which way would you go/recommend??

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
So silly me snapped best part of the top radiator outlet off. Going away next weekend with the camper and need to get the radiator fixed.
Dilemma is, local Natrad has quoted me $200 to rod the radiator and fit new top tank(me removing and reinstalling. Yes I have trust issues when it comes to others working on my rig)... or do I fork out for an all alloy unit as an "upgrade" that will more than likely cost a bit more and unsure on brands and quality with purchase more than likely going to be an online job.

Which way would you go/recommend??
Me personally, I'd go the Natrad repair, they do it all the time and it works, if you have plenty of coin go the alloy one. Your not the only one with trust issues when it comes to work on THE truck.........

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ross. Got the top tank done by Natrad this morning and have a slightly different dilemma now!!! :rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LsrP3-Mgfc

Take a quick squiz at this short clip I recorded when I started the rig up. Engine was dead cold with fresh coolant/distilled water filled. With those bubbles and a bit of steam there.... I think I may have a cracked head :anger::sad::doh:To say Im slightly pissed is an understatement... cannot afford a new head and don't even know how much that is at this stage!! Looks like the family camping trip next weekend is out now too!!

An assistance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
could just be the system still bleeding air?

check your oil for signs of water?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts

Could be right.

Did you follow the procedure documented in the archives for refilling?

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
More likely air bubbles in the system... You could get it tested for exhaust gas content, but id be looking at rebleeding

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

System still pressurising ALOT and still losing coolant somewhere. No signs of oil/water mix in radiator, on dipstick, under oil cap or in provent. Took to Natrad for testing radiator for exhaust gases and could not confirm either way.... was told that these tests are not 100% conclusive.... so I still hold hope it's not the head.
He did suggest a possibility of thermostat giving up the ghost/seized... would this be a realistic option given I only changed this out for a Tridon unit about 40k ago and that the cooling system is pressurising??

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,673 Posts
Firstly close that cap and fill up the header tank. The cap in the radiator is only there to speed up filling it from dry. Consider the header tank as the top of the radiator. Highest point in cooling system. You won't get all the air out unless you do this.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts