Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a look under my bonnet and noticed that the pipe that goes from the overflow spigot to the overflow tank has turned white!

If i rub it the white powder comes off.. Any ideas? Time to replace it ? Its not leaking and im not losing any coolant.

Nissan want $27 to replace it, which isn't too bad, its a long pipe.. None in stock, 7 days to get one from Japan.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Mate, if your getting a dry powdery residue coming off it, it is slowly breaking down, don't take any risks, replace it asap. I regularly check all these type of fittings and use things like armorall or such preservatives to give some feed into it. Is it still flexible or is it hardening up?

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
I had this happen and eventually it was leaking so I just replaced it with some fuel line we had laying around at work, works great.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Mine has been doing it since new. Bit weird, but it doesn't seem to affect anything and the hose feels ok. I suspect it might be the type of rubber used to manufacture the hose,

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My pipe is also white, in regards to armorall, detailers will not touch the stuff, i used it on my new mondeo door trims, they started squeaking like they were dried out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One question! Have you cleaned the engine bay with degreaser the white is a effect of the degreaser cleaner. Nothing wrong with hose. you can fix with some silicon spray but be careful not to spray every ware.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
Seems I'm odd man out again, been using armorall on all my vehicles since it came out, this one for 10 years, everything is still OK, I don't put it on the steering wheel but most other things are fair game. Oh well! Must be something in the water.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One question! Have you cleaned the engine bay with degreaser the white is a effect of the degreaser cleaner. Nothing wrong with hose. you can fix with some silicon spray but be careful not to spray every ware.
Nah one glance at my engine bay tells a story of being driven off road a lot, and washed very little. THe last time i put a hose near it was when i came back from a beach trip, but that was just tap water.

Thanks for the feedback, ive ordered the pipe anyway, will fit it and keep the old one in my spares draw. Probably giving me a nudge to replace all my radiator pipes and keep the old ones as spares. Cheap insurance i guess :)

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
if its the low pressure hose im thinking of could have gone to supercr p or the like and you can buy rad overflow hose. bout 8bucks a metre. coulda saved money for a 6 pack

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if its the low pressure hose im thinking of could have gone to supercr p or the like and you can buy rad overflow hose. bout 8bucks a metre. coulda saved money for a 6 pack
Knowing my adventures to supercrud i would get it a few cm short, or the wrong inside diameter and have to do it again.. Nissan one isnt too much more and its got all the bends and stuff in it, no biggie :)

Good idea, ill have a beer while doing it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts