Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, hoping someone can help my radio display has died, no longer shows what station it is on or anything else, pushing the face or lifting from the cassette space can bring it back for a while, any solutions is it a loose contact or am I up for a new radio please reply to [email protected]

Rob McLear
Kingaroy

·
Registered
Nissan
31 Posts
I am guessing you mean your car stereo. If so, read on...

If 'pushing the face' or pushing on the display with your finger brings it back to life, or the missing segments appear, even if only briefly there is a fair chance the LCD display is on it's way out or already deceased.

The only real fix for it is to obtain another display. Depending on the type of radio this may be easy or hard. You then of course have to get the radio out, onto a bench to fit the replacement. This can sometimes be as simple as plugging in a connector, or worse case it is soldered onto the PCB, which means you will need pretty reasonable soldering skills as they can have a lot of pins and close together - again dependent on make and model.

If you are really wanting to replace it, I would hunt around wreckers for a cheap second-hand version of your stereo and scavenge the LCD from it, ensure it is working correctly first. To have a tech replace this would probably be more costly then buying an after-market stereo from the likes of SuperCheap Auto.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Need more info Rob. Is it a factory radio or aftermarket?
Some have a printed circuit ribbon thats joined to the face and they sometimes come adrift.
The face needs to be unscrewed and the ribbon rejoined. Most just push into place

Reactions: Rob Mc

·
Registered
nissan
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies and I apologise for my lateness in getting back to you we have been away in Sydney and Canberra for the grandkids efforts in the Karate world cup and no we didn't take the Patrol unfortunately. It is the standard radio, manufactures fit and as far as I know original. Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to have to fit a new one in it. I do have fairly good soldering skills so that is not an issue. Hoping that it wont come to that.

Rob.

·
Registered
Nissan
31 Posts
I do have fairly good soldering skills so that is not an issue. Hoping that it wont come to that.
If you feel confident enough take it out and have a look, if you don't feel you can fix it no harm done and you could find someone that could. As sudso said it may be simply a case of pushing the connector back on. Wish I had of seen this post before I got the skip, I threw away a working factory stereo from my GU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts