Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just fitted my HID's last night, and went for my first night drive tonight,
but when i had low/high beam on.. i was getting a ***** load of interference.
the radio was fine with just parkers on, im stumped!!

anybody had the same troubles or know how to help me?

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
benno;

any idea why i get it all the time?

I've only had them on a few times,
but i went and seen a mate.. and the HIDs where burning really hot.
much hotter then his spottys are after being on for a hour or so!

and i can hear an electrical noise, when i first turn them on.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sucks, i like the radio. haha.

thanks anyways benno.

if i get nothing out of this by the weekend, ill head to my local leccy!

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad grounds somewhere?
that's what i first thought,
but it was never happening b4 the HIDs, and im having no earthily troubles with the lights, no flickering etc.

might try different earthing spots on the weekend.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pretty sure that it doesn't.
like i didn't try it, but when i bumped up the rev's to go reverse, stayed at the same noise level.
if that makes sence.

ill check that tomorrow.
if it changes with rev's, it's definately a bad earth.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Had the same result after I installed my HID Kit. Also have the same electrical noise when turning lights on. I asked Matt (Jet6) and he seemed to indicate that because of how HID work they will produce radio interference, nothing you can do about it.

Would love to hear if there is a fix, as mine, like yours by the sounds of it, is quite bad and drives me nuts sometimes.

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
Yeh it probably won't change "volume" but if the noise changes pitch ( higher revs will probably make a really high pitch sound. Something like a shrill scream?) then you got problems

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's not as positive as i hoped :(

mines that bad, u can't hear the radio. only interference.
but, i think your on the right track, plugged my iPhone in via aux, and no interference.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh it probably won't change "volume" but if the noise changes pitch ( higher revs will probably make a really high pitch sound. Something like a shrill scream?) then you got problems
yeah, that's what i ment. but i don't think that's the case.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds a bit nuts,

but an old aviation trick when working on instruments, was to work in a 1mm thick, 2x2mm bronze mesh cage.
wonder if it would be the same princable, put a brass cage around the ballast to stop the radiowaves.

surely there is a much simple fix.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You are getting interference due to lack of shielding in the high voltage side (generally a sign of cheaper HID kits). If you have the gear, shield the ballast and as much of the HV side as you can, maybe just the ballast will solve your problem though.

Maybe also check where you ballasts and HV wiring is compared to your radio antenna and wiring.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are getting interference due to lack of shielding in the high voltage side (generally a sign of cheaper HID kits). If you have the gear, shield the ballast and as much of the HV side as you can, maybe just the ballast will solve your problem though.

Maybe also check where you ballasts and HV wiring is compared to your radio antenna and wiring.
yeah its a cheap hid kit.

how would you recomend shielding?
i used the wiring loom that came with the kit.
ballast's are sitting just below the headlights up the front.
earth's are right up the front also, there is only a power wire with fuse that runs up the drivers side to the + on the battery.

as for arel, runs out the fire wall, along the firewall to where the factory antenna is, pretty much at the base of the a pillar on the passenger side.

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
my driving lights cause the same thing sometimes but the headlights never cause any dramas.
my ballasts are about 300mm from aerial cable but they run the leads basically up against the grill to the lights.
the weird thing though is they only cause a drama occasionally. most times it fine but when its raining its horrific.
how do you go about shielding would that black split condute do the job???

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do you go about shielding would that black split condute do the job???
nope; that's what i have over mine. well most of it. just not the wires from ballast to bulb.
so not looking forward to pulling it all apart again. ha

1 - 20 of 37 Posts