Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Registered
nissan
884 Posts
The original bolts have a collar, Im not sure if they will fit through the hole in the uni joint.
I used m8 x 25mm 8.8bolts with m8 x 17mm washer.
You cant install with the bolts already in place as they foul on the spline.
Blue Azure Door Household hardware Wood

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
The Patrolapart page seemed to be saying that the original bolts don’t fit.
My apologies, I just took the bolts out of mine and they are 10mm whereas the toyota joint is 8mm. so yes that is correct. I've got plenty of 8mm HT setscrews here so no issue, I reckon you would have a heap as well considering your playing with Patrols.
Just started and will be doing it through the side so will writeup when I'm finished.

· I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
22,498 Posts
Mine didn't turn up so will have to wait till next week.
Then you can benefit from the others experience. No skinned knuckles for you. 😁👍

Reactions: Benny Jahmin

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Man, getting the rag joint up the steering column spline was a job and a half, getting movement on the steering box was easy, anyway just got the rag joint out after a lot of awkward coaxing with a brass dolly. As suspected it makes no difference the screws being opposingly aligned as the box spline has a full ring groove, only the top has the flat section on the spline.
Getting there, hope to be finished by beer o'clock.
Pics to come.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
In and done, if a 76 year old with crook shoulders and right knee can do it then anyone can. Only way for me to do this job is to tackle the job from under the mudguard.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Tints and shades

Spayed plenty of Reducteure around.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

After several minutes I turned the steering wheel so the set screw heads were point outward like the first pic, man they were tight had to use a long breaker bar to crack them. Once bolts were out I turned the steering wheel until bolt holes were pointing upwards, then tied off steering wheel to grab handle Just In Case.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Hood Automotive tire

Spread the clamping bosses with a couple of large screwdrivers and sprayed more Reducteure, it was easy to get the bottom bit moving but top wouldn't budge, finished up using an old brass dolly I've had for 60 bloody years to tap it back enough to disconnect the front, but I did need to lever the bottom bit back against the rag to make it fall out. This worried me a bit because the Toyota part has no flex :eek:.
Tints and shades Gas Font Composite material Automotive wheel system

The set screws that hold the rag joint together are 9's so if you don't have any HT 8mm bolts you can undo these and use them to hold the uni on the splines.
Wood Auto part Safety glove Metal Carmine

Getting it in place is not that easy, line up with the flat on the column spline then you must push the uni back up the spline as far as you can possibly make it go (you may need to spread the clamp boss a little, mine would not slide straight on without doing that. Even with the uni pushed back up the column spline the lower section of the joint won't just pop onto the box, took me several minutes to work out a method, don't try and fit to the box from the lower side, won't happen, too much flex required due to higher angle, come in from the very top, rest it in place with slight pressure then lever down a little, there is enough flex in the column to get that 1mm you need, not easy but doable.
Then it's all over red rover and minimal skin missing.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Won't be driving it today, by the time I get all the bits back on and tools cleaned up it will be beer o'clock, so tomorrow is test day.
Have a warm fuzzy feeling, another project out of the way.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Just went for quick test drive. Drives nicer and steering more direct.
That's what Peter has told me about his, interesting, Was going to leave my test until tomorrow but after reading you post I couldn't wait.
So, yes it does feel different, hard to put an exact reasoning into words, it feels a little tighter and a little more responsive, there also seems to be less play in the steering wheel with engine shut down, one would think only a steering box adjustment would give that last feeling particularly, there must be a small amount of give in the rag connection under load, that is all I can think of as a reason.
One concern I did have was feedback through the steering wheel seeing as the rag connection does have linear flex ability, but nothing on my test drive, will need to wait a few weeks until I'm back on corrugations to get that feedback.
Overall I'm bloody happy.

· Premium Member
nissan
1,915 Posts
Mine's all done too. Pretty easy really. Didn't need wedges etc.
A bit of WD40 and a light tap and the old joint slid up the spline and off the box, then off the bottom of the shaft..
New joint went on fine. Slid the upper section all the way up the steering shaft spline, and the lower section fed onto the steering box spline from above.
Haven't driven it yet, but all the marks line up as before.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Mine's all done too. Pretty easy really. Didn't need wedges etc.
A bit of WD40 and a light tap and the old joint slid up the spline and off the box, then off the bottom of the shaft..
New joint went on fine. Slid the upper section all the way up the steering shaft spline, and the lower section fed onto the steering box spline from above.
Haven't driven it yet, but all the marks line up as before.
Wow, yours was easy, a mm here 1/2 a mm there can make all the difference, mine was a challenge as said above.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
I think the flex of the original joint is to allow for any movement because the column is fixed to the body and the box to the chassis. Glad I have new body mounts now.
Quite possibly, will be interest when I hit the corrugations.

· Registered
nissan
6,208 Posts
I'm not sure I want to try this mod considering that replacing the rag coupling with a solid unit will mean it's the bearings in the upper column housing and its brackets under the dash that will have to absorb any movement or shock between chassis and body.
I just don't see a sufficient advantage to make the possible risk of damage elsewhere worthwhile.

· Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm not sure I want to try this mod considering that replacing the rag coupling with a solid unit will mean it's the bearings in the upper column housing and its brackets under the dash that will have to absorb any movement or shock between chassis and body.
I just don't see a sufficient advantage to make the possible risk of damage elsewhere worthwhile.
How do you think the 80 series is different where this isn't an issue?

· Registered
nissan
6,208 Posts
How do you think the 80 series is different where this isn't an issue?
I have absolutely no idea how an 80 series is constructed so really can't comment on that.

Edit: A quick Google appears to show that 80 & 105 series have a flexible coupling somewhere in the steering column.

It’s fitted under the dash..

Automotive tire Font Auto part Sharing Rim

· Registered
1,600 Posts
I have absolutely no idea how an 80 series is constructed so really can't comment on that.

Edit: A quick Google appears to show that 80 & 105 series have a flexible coupling somewhere in the steering column.

It’s fitted under the dash..

View attachment 546635
Interesting.
Well I guess there is going to be a few guinea pigs now to report back any issues.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Interesting.
Well I guess there is going to be a few guinea pigs now to report back any issues.
Peter has had no issues I'm aware of, his experience is what caused me to commit to it. As said earlier, my next lot of corrugations will be interesting.

· Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,956 Posts
From what I read, 80 series has a flex coupling (rag joint) at top of intermediate shaft (approx position @ firewall) and yoke coupling @ steering box.

Genuine Steering Column Coupling suitable for Landcruiser 80 Series 105 Series

80 series Steering flex coupling (add reads):
flexible rubber coupling which fits between the steering column mainshaft and the intermediate shaft.

GU Patrol has yoke coupling at top of lower shaft (approx position @ firewall) and flex (rag joint) at steering box.

Maybe Patrol setup with rag joint provide for less detrimental forces at steering box assy.

I would also be reluctant in changing setup.

· Registered
nissan
6,208 Posts
Interesting.
I think any issues will only appear over time and will likely depend on the amount of movement between body and chassis which will be dictated by the state of the body mounts.
I doubt the mod would make much difference to the way I drive now at my age anyway so I won't be doing it.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts