Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Another up date (not on corrugations yet). I'm not saying the joint is better than a new rag joint or one on a late model Patrol, with over 420,000k on mine I've well and truly forgotten what it was like new, so I can only compare it to what I had.
Spent 5 hours behind the wheel today so got a good cross section of variable's, as said in previous post corrections on the highway are reduced, today I went through some high cross wind areas at 100k plus and again corrections were noticeably reduced, so still impressed. Haven't done corrugations yet but driving from Kingscliff to Lismore on the backroads we did around 80k on one of the worst (sealed) roads I've ever been on, really bad flood damage (wife not impressed) closures and detours onto worse roads, chopped up something fierce but feedback through the steering was again noticeably minimal, very happy.

· I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
22,498 Posts
Haha some of Byron's finest there. And that was before the floods.
Which roads did you take?
I lived there in the ‘70’s, the roads haven’t changed.

Reactions: Benny Jahmin

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Haha some of Byron's finest there. And that was before the floods.
Which roads did you take?
I'm not sure, got redirected by closures so many times I had to rely on GPS to get out, about 30k outside of Lismore we got onto a decent road.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
The more I drive with this mod he more impressed I am (no corrugations yet though).

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Damn this is a good mod, the difference in feel is fantastic, can't recommend it enough for an older vehicle (still no corrugations, early January that will happen).

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
OK so did a trip with some corrugations and also rock strewn tracks on a big property, no kick back through the column. Still love it, the 'feel' of the road is just great.

· Registered
nissan
3,028 Posts
I have just done a bit over 10k km.
Some rough parts, across the Anne Beadell then down the Oodnadatta, through back of Flinders Ranges somewhere to Vic, then a mix of every dirt road i could find coming back across to WA along coast and a fair old stretch of the ARTC in that as well, lots of corrugations, lime stone/gibber/rock covered tracks where 30km was about the best I could do.
Doesn't seem any different to drive compared to the standard setup, perhaps a bit better on a normal road, bit hard to tell TBH.
Nothing bad to report about changing the joint however.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
I have just done a bit over 10k km.
Some rough parts, across the Anne Beadell then down the Oodnadatta, through back of Flinders Ranges somewhere to Vic, then a mix of every dirt road i could find coming back across to WA along coast and a fair old stretch of the ARTC in that as well, lots of corrugations, lime stone/gibber/rock covered tracks where 30km was about the best I could do.
Doesn't seem any different to drive compared to the standard setup, perhaps a bit better on a normal road, bit hard to tell TBH.
Nothing bad to report about changing the joint however.
I get that, I said earlier I wasn't saying it was better than a 'good' rag joint, but the difference it made to smoothness in my 22 year old steering was significant.

· Registered
nissan
103 Posts
Fitting the Toyota uni in place of the rag joint is a fairly common mod in the winch truck community down here in Vic.

One problem we have seen is if the body mounts are worn you can get the steering going stiff as everything bounces around and moves.
We've also seen it a couple of times where the uni pulls off the steering box (on body lifted cars though with less engagement)

Toyota have a proper slip joint in the system to account for body movement, so what I do is adapt a 70 series steering column into the patrol. Also makes it a lot easier to remove the steering box etc by having the slip joint.

I've done them a few different ways, my original car I could actually unbolt the lower shaft at the firewall using a steering uni from a skyline making the whole thing replaceable and factory looking.
The new car I just grafted the cruiser shaft onto the patrol column as shown below.

Sent from my S96Pro using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
I get that, I said earlier I wasn't saying it was better than a 'good' rag joint, but the difference it made to smoothness in my 22 year old steering was significant. [/QUOTE hmmm , I don’t understand your response??? Unfortunately I have owned my Ute since new, straight off the showroom floor. (Personally I know of only 2 other members with similar age cars who have owned from factory floor, sure there are others but) So after 23yrs and like 600k km or whatever my Ute has on it, thought my feedback might be relevant. My feedback stands.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts