Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I don't have anger management issues - I have moro
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day,
I have heard that some people have put spacers on their bonnet hinges to lift them to help reduce under bonnet temps. What are any advantages/ disadvantages of doing this and how high are we talking to lift the bonnet?
cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
It may help under bonnet temps when going slow (not sure about what the air will do at speed ?, e.g. wipercowl vent pressure), but if you have temp problem, you should just fix that properly, if you dont have a temp problem, i would not bother, plus you could be making your car illegal in some states.

The problem with a spaced up bonnet, is if you blow a oil (or water) line etc, it can then spray oil all over the windscreen through the gap, plus (as the guys who did this to Torana's many years ago) you may have no end of people saying "your bonnets not closed properly mate"

Also some plastic things under your bonnet may not UV stabilised and may get exposed to sun through the space, sounds silly.... this happend on some older camrys (no mods) with sunlight entering between the "factory gap", between the bonnet and drivers side gaurd, and perished the windscreen washer bottle , most had large holes after afew years.

Plus i reckon it could look a touch ghey :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
G'Day,
I have heard that some people have put spacers on their bonnet hinges to lift them to help reduce under bonnet temps. What are any advantages/ disadvantages of doing this and how high are we talking to lift the bonnet?
cheers
This was a common trick on race cars in the 70's and 80's and it worked OK, but then CAMS deemed it illegal due to risk of fluid leakage spraying on the windscreen, not sure if it is deemed illegal on the street but would be surprised if not.

The design of the more modern car takes the flow of air around the engine bay a lot more seriously so there are other risks involved. If your cooling system has no faults then it should not be necessary.

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
The temperature issue I have is more a turbo heat causing the Aux battery to evaporate and die prematurely. I don't like the idea of lifting the bonnet but need an idea on getting cool air to the battery.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It may help under bonnet temps when going slow (not sure about what the air will do at speed ?, e.g. wipercowl vent pressure), but if you have temp problem, you should just fix that properly, if you dont have a temp problem, i would not bother, plus you could be making your car illegal in some states.

The problem with a spaced up bonnet, is if you blow a oil (or water) line etc, it can then spray oil all over the windscreen through the gap, plus (as the guys who did this to Torana's many years ago) you may have no end of people saying "your bonnets not closed properly mate"

Also some plastic things under your bonnet may not UV stabilised and may get exposed to sun through the space, sounds silly.... this happend on some older camrys (no mods) with sunlight entering between the "factory gap", between the bonnet and drivers side gaurd, and perished the windscreen washer bottle , most had large holes after afew years.

Plus i reckon it could look a touch ghey :)
Also you will find when it rains or gets cold your windscreen will fog up.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I space mine in summer and the only 2 downsides are

1) When stopped at the lights hot air gets sucked into vents. But all u need to do is have it on recirculate.

2) People always tell me my bonnet is open.

I never experienced any window fogging in rain.

The reason i did mine in the GQ was for under bonnet temps (not engine temp). I have a few bits of plastic well away from the engine melt on a 45 degree day.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
you might also loose the seal between scoop and intercooler if you lift it too much aswell. 80 series cruisers have a plastic shroud that goes around the batteries and seals when the bonnet closes and the gaps around the headlights let cool air into the battery area.
i think the way the patrol is designed is for on top of the bonnet to be positive pressure and under the car to be negative pressure when traveling so air is forced into interooler and drawn through engine bay and sucked out underneath the car also with hot air from radiator. if you change this setup with bonnet spacers it could bugger that effect up. ive read the plastic wind deflector under bullbar is an essential part to cause negative pressure under car .
id be trying a battery heat shield before doing bonnet mod

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
The temperature issue I have is more a turbo heat causing the Aux battery to evaporate and die prematurely. I don't like the idea of lifting the bonnet but need an idea on getting cool air to the battery.
Can't remember where, but recently saw a photo of an insulating wrap material specifically designed for batteries, as premature failure through heat is not an uncommon issue, it may even have been on here somewhere. Will try and find it and get back to you.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Can't remember where, but recently saw a photo of an insulating wrap material specifically designed for batteries, as premature failure through heat is not an uncommon issue, it may even have been on here somewhere. Will try and find it and get back to you.
It was in Slowzuki's thread - Portals. seems like a bloody good idea!

Also, if oyu lift the back of the bonnet, it MAY become a guillotine in the case of an accident - unlikely though...

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
It was in Slowzuki's thread - Portals. seems like a bloody good idea!..
Thanks Mic you just saved me from a massive headache, could not remember.............must be having a senior moment. :headwall:

·
I don't have anger management issues - I have moro
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the answers. I don't really have a problem with temps - was just thinking of ways to help cool under the bonnet more.
The insulating wrap looks like a good idea - I think Whitie has it on his intercooler.
I got rid of the plastic air deflector under my car as i thought it was just a tightarse Nissan bashguard but I made up a replacement one of the same angle and size out of 4mm stainless steel. That should work the same shouldn't it?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
I would look at bonnet vents as well if you are keen. Plenty of vehicles have them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts