Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened a PM from one of our members, we had exchanged a message or two already. When I opened his reply, my browser was re-directed to some unknown web site, with a big warning box on the screen, and a siren going off at me! I closed it as quick as I could, and when I opened the forum again it worked as normal.

Just a warning for others in case they get the same.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,890 Posts
I’ve reported a few dodgy new member postings. Never had a dodgy PM.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
I opened a PM from one of our members, we had exchanged a message or two already. When I opened his reply, my browser was re-directed to some unknown web site, with a big warning box on the screen, and a siren going off at me! I closed it as quick as I could, and when I opened the forum again it worked as normal.

Just a warning for others in case they get the same.
Pm me details please for follow up.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because it looked dodgy, I closed it in a split second Ross. So I have no idea as to what it was. I still have the PM from our other member, which worked fine second time. Would you like me to add you that conversation perhaps? I am not sure I can tell you anything else unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replied to your PM no worries Ross. And then I clicked on the "New" icon and it did it again.

The forum page redirected to "pesthole.com." and a warning message came up that my Windows 10 was obsolete and that I needed to fix it. The warning message was a pop up box on the screen and was in conjunction with the loud alarm sound going off. I closed it down and opened up the forum again, and I was still logged in.

I will run whatever scans I can to find any viruses, but I have not had this happen on anything else but this forum.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
Have linked this post to the group for comment, I can see no reason why this should happen the way it has. Will let you knowwhat happens.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
I googled pesthole.com and it appears to have been shut down, but it is a subject of discussion.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
OK, so feedback I am getting is not exactly what we wanted to hear, these sites can be shut down and come up again under a different name and IP very quickly, so hard to control, as said I googled pesthole.com not long after GQShayne contacted me and before I reported it and it had already been shut down by some entity.

Unfortunately this is a price we pay for the days we live in. It has been suggested to me that a HAR file would help, but I mentioned the chances of getting members to do one of those is somewhere between zero and zilch, have done them myself and they are a pain in the arse.
For now if you guys get anything like this again post a URL here or PM one to me for followup.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
Just got another one, much the same, just a different name. Only happening on here.
Get the URL if you can, that helps us. Not sure what is going on here, I have been on and off the forum most of the day playing around and haven't come across this, what are the circumstances it happens under?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was doing some googling before and opened a thread on here without being logged on, and it happened again. Being wary of dodgy websites, it is instinct to just close it asap.

So it has happened from a legitimate PM, clicking on the "New" button, and opening threads, one without being logged on. Pretty random. I will get the URL of the next one.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
I was doing some googling before and opened a thread on here without being logged on, and it happened again. Being wary of dodgy websites, it is instinct to just close it asap.

So it has happened from a legitimate PM, clicking on the "New" button, and opening threads, one without being logged on. Pretty random. I will get the URL of the next one.
Had an interesting reply to my discussion on this from a US forum Admin (massive forum, well over a million members) after I had pointed out I could not replicate the condition on either my laptop or tablet. Because I spend a lot of time on the forum and researching, I have had some strange things happen over the years, this lead me to change how I browse, I purge my browsing history daily and use ccleaner daily as well.
Anyway have a read of what he said.

"Targeted ads are based on things like your browsing history so getting hit with these rogue ads that attempt to install a virus or phish for info is a bit like hitting the lottery in reverse.

The same user could use a different browser and probably never see it because the browsing history on that browser is likely very different.

And other users and staff can rarely replicate it because our browsing histories are different".

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wondered about something like that. I have just cleared my browser history, so will see how it goes from now on. It was odd that no-one else was complaining about the same problem, and yet it was only on this forum that I was having any issues.

Thanks for your input. :)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,192 Posts
I wondered about something like that. I have just cleared my browser history, so will see how it goes from now on. It was odd that no-one else was complaining about the same problem, and yet it was only on this forum that I was having any issues.

Thanks for your input. :)
Thanks, let me know how you get on, do you have CCleaner at all? I don't use a paid anti virus just a couple of cleaners.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts