Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might surprise a few here to see how poor the 3.2 ltr is up against the little 2.0 ltr .

·
Registered
634 Posts
Most of the advantages they found with their tests was less to do with the engines and more to do with the much much better 10 speed gearbox. The older 6 speed is terrible, I always drove it in manual as driving in auto mode is not ideal and choose wrong gears all the time.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Most of the advantages they found with their tests was less to do with the engines and more to do with the much much better 10 speed gearbox. The older 6 speed is terrible, I always drove it in manual as driving in auto mode is not ideal and choose wrong gears all the time.
I read something somewhere about the 10 speed continuously going up and down, as you would expect trying to keep in a more narrow range.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Was looking for above article and found this, don't bother going past the 14 minute mark. I'm not a huge fan of Cadogans but what he says here makes sense.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Also another overlooked factor but seriously important to all these tests results is the diff ratios . They are quite different with the 2L having roughly 3.3 ratio and the 3.2L having 3.8 ratio.

There's so much changed between the two vehicles than just the engine which pretty much making any comparison about the engine on its own quite hard, but for the overall package good

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,013 Posts
I remember when the Amarok biturbo came out somebody did a test pitting it against the Blandcruiser V8. To their surprise, the Amarok used less fuel even when loaded up (800kg in the tray IIRC).

The other comment was, "The Amarok felt like it was working hard the whole time, and your left arm got tired constantly shifting to keep it on the boil." Whereas the Toymota was just, "Stick it in 5th and chug along."

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
884 Posts
I remember when the Amarok biturbo came out somebody did a test pitting it against the Blandcruiser V8. To their surprise, the Amarok used less fuel even when loaded up (800kg in the tray IIRC).

The other comment was, "The Amarok felt like it was working hard the whole time, and your left arm got tired constantly shifting to keep it on the boil." Whereas the Toymota was just, "Stick it in 5th and chug along."
If the unthinkable happened and I've "unPatrolled" I'd rather the blandcruiser despite the difference in fe-wl consumption.
I believe Eclipse does something nice for them.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
If the unthinkable happened and I've "unPatrolled" I'd rather the blandcruiser despite the difference in fe-wl consumption.
I believe Eclipse does something nice for them.
Yes.....

·
Registered
634 Posts
I thought they had something for the 1VD but I might be wrong. They definitely have FTE stuff though.
Edit: I just checked. I was mistaken. Damn.
I know they've been working on a 1VD turbo for quite some time as they keep posting about it on their facebook page but I don't believe it's ready yet? These are the last pics I saw online from them about it, dual volute design looks great.

1vd 1.jpg
1vd.jpg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Have seen it on my trips down there, haven't been for a while....

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,286 Posts
Brother in law just bought one of the 2.0L ones, but with the lockdown hasn't had a chance to give it any decent runs yet. I don't think I'd be brave enough to own something like that once the warranty ran out, I reckon by that time if anything went wrong with that gearbox it would cost more than the vehicle would be worth to fix it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Because it's there????????
Yes I'm not exactly sure why they were doing this but the guys that posted the photos said they were getting better power and reliability from the CRD ZD and it's easier to work on than the Ranger engine. So there you go I wouldn't have thought anyone with a Ranger would be admitting the ZD30 CRD is better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts