Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody hell. We recently moved from west of Cairns to down near Brisbane. It was a government paid for move and they moved all our gear plus a car and a boat.

We had no choice in removal companies. The whole move is managed by a Qld government contractor ('Transition' company - hint), who then subcontracts out the car and boat removal to a logistics company based just south of Brisbane. The car was delivered fine, but the boat...

They trashed the boat's aluminium and vinyl canopy during the move. It is 5.5 meters long and three meters wide and was in great condition. They delivered it to my 80 year old father at 8pm - nice and dark so you can't see the damage four meters above the ground. They have backed the boat and canopy into a roof somewhere and bent, broken and twisted the whole frame and cover.

The best part is, they deny all damage as the boat 'was signed for' on delivery. Even though the photos taken as it was picked up show no damage, and the agent who picked it up noted no damage. What a f***ing scam. Neither them or the govt contractor will take ownership of the damage as "after our investigation, we find we are not at fault for the damage as the boat was signed for".

The worst part is that we rang the Qld based insurance company before the boat was picked up, told them what was happening and asked if we needed extra insurance - "No, you are covered". Well guess what - they don't want to know about it either as "it was not in your care at the time'.

A couple of grand damage and we are left high and dry with a trashed canopy, insurance that is worth sh** and a govt removal company and a logistics company that has ripped us. I finally got a "We will send an assessor out to have a look" reply tonight from the insurance company, only after I could give the date, time and name of the person who told us we didn't need extra insurance.

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

Rant over, for now..... but feel like I've been bent over.....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Lesson one: (A bit late for you I know but notice to others).
Whenever signing for any goods ever. Next to your name write S.T.I. (subject to inspection).
This means yes you have received it but were not in a position to check it fully when it was delivered. Covers you for at least 24-48 hours in most cases and they have no "it was signed for" clause.

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nizzbits. It's absolute bull***t. I will remember that for next time.

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention that neither the Transition company or the Logistics company will insure items while they move them... It's up to you to insure your own items, as we did... fat lot of good that was worth...

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Whenever signing for any goods ever. Next to your name write S.T.I. (subject to inspection).
This means yes you have received it but were not in a position to check it fully when it was delivered. Covers you for at least 24-48 hours in most cases and they have no "it was signed for" clause.
X2 , and always get Transit Insurance even though the insurance company said " no it is covered"

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Without photographic proof of how it turned up and damage between how it left and how it turned up,it will be a hard case
Parcel frieght has to be signed when received,how many actually open parcels before signing ???
Local storage company had the whole complex go under water
Those that opted for additional insurance where covered
Those who did opt for insurance,lost everything
Most places have stored,frieghted at your own risk

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I've dealt with Allied Pickfords in WA 4 times, company paid for it. 3 out of 4 they smashed stuff and did stupid things like pack crystalware with flowerpots and saucepans. That 3 out of 4 was the Karratha depot. Perth to Karratha was fine.
they even left wrappers from their smoko and empty drink bottles in the boxes. Oxygen theives the lot of them. the clown in charge tried to say that It'd be more than a 20 foot container, yet 2 years before the same house full was packed in a 20 footer and we'd sold the pool table, a couch and a dining suite. They were even ducking out to the truck to smoke dope while packing my house, fortunately my stuff didnt arrive reeking of pot.
we got about a dozen boxes turn up 3/4 full of paper , I think he was trying to prove his point. When unpacking we photographed them and sent the photos to the company paying for it all and told them they might like to investigate being ripped off.

If you use a removal service watch them like a hawk. have a couple of people, one to watch it being carried out and one to watch it being packed.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Thats a good tip^, sometimes when i pick up goods from some places, and you can't inspect them first before you sign, i just scribble a name that reads "damaged" ;)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
This isnt the first thread stating removalists are scrotes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
My advice.

We are not all scrotes as can be attested by quite a few of the forum members that I have done work for. I run a Removals company ( Lighthouse Removals ) and my advice in dealing with a company like that would be as follows.

1. Call them and tell them that they have got 1 week to write a letter to you accepting liability and agreeing to pay. and that if they don't then you will go to fair trading.

2. Imediatly after 1 week DO go to fair trading. ( Fair trading actualy have no power they just see if an ammicable solution can be worked out ). Tell fair trading that you are not willing to waste time dealing with the company but that you thought you would give them the benefit of the doubt to see if an ammicable solution could be found.

3. 1 week after going to fair trading and if they are still playing hard ball, just call them and ask them for their address for you solicitor to send the court summons to. ( this should do the trick ).

4. Do take them to court as a judge will/should accept that something can not be signed for if it can't be viewed due to light restrictions.

NB/ Just because a companies Terms and Conditions say that nothing will be payed out if it has been signed for, does not mean that you can't take them to court over it. A companies T & C's have almost no bearing on the court case.

I'm not saying that breakages never happen in my company but the least they could do is come to a resolution that both partys are happy with.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,138 Posts
The worst part is that we rang the Qld based insurance company before the boat was picked up, told them what was happening and asked if we needed extra insurance - "No, you are covered". Well guess what - they don't want to know about it either as "it was not in your care at the time'.

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

Rant over, for now..... but feel like I've been bent over.....
They record all conversations that take place. You are entitled to a copy of that, so you can go further with it.:idea:

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Cant help with your dealings with insurance, but if you are after a great gent to repair the canopy I can assist with that.

Steve's Custom Canopies
18 Cameron Street, Clontarf
(07) 3283 6677

Ive been sending people there for over 10 years.

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. Call them and tell them that they have got 1 week to write a letter to you accepting liability and agreeing to pay. and that if they don't then you will go to fair trading.

2. Imediatly after 1 week DO go to fair trading. ( Fair trading actualy have no power they just see if an ammicable solution can be worked out ). Tell fair trading that you are not willing to waste time dealing with the company but that you thought you would give them the benefit of the doubt to see if an ammicable solution could be found.

3. 1 week after going to fair trading and if they are still playing hard ball, just call them and ask them for their address for you solicitor to send the court summons to. ( this should do the trick ).

4. Do take them to court as a judge will/should accept that something can not be signed for if it can't be viewed due to light restrictions.
Cheers Gordo'
Thanks Gordo. I will consider going down that route. I have photos from directly before they picked it up as well.

They record all conversations that take place. You are entitled to a copy of that, so you can go further with it.:idea:
"Must have been someone new they said." I asked for a copy and they can't locate it... they will get back to me...

Cant help with your dealings with insurance, but if you are after a great gent to repair the canopy I can assist with that.

Steve's Custom Canopies
18 Cameron Street, Clontarf
(07) 3283 6677

Ive been sending people there for over 10 years.
Thanks Benno - it might come to that yet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mate,

After 13 removals (4 as a single bloke and another 9 accompanied) covered by Defence and quite possibly contracted through the same 'transitions' company, I can tell you I have had huge problems dealing with many subcontractors, who sometimes change their attitude after you compain to the contractor and nearly always have a dramatic change of heart after you talk to your government based contract manager. It seems that because the annual government conracts are so big, contractors and even more so sub contractors will stop playing hardball once the complaint is escillated to the government contract manager (in my case the Defence relocations manager that has been assigned to me). I'd try this route before anything else - hopefully the QLD govt relocations team can have as much sway as Defence sometimes can, when it comes to stopping unscrupilous subcontractors from trying to rip off members...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts