1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Just a quick question!

I have taken the rocker cover off the Mk, it was leaking a bit from there and now has a new gasket

So we have decided to do the tappets at the same time.

Does anyone use the special tool that is shown in the workshop manual, its like a open ended spanner torque wrench? We have regular torque wrenches but nothing like this..

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Just use a ring spanner and a screw driver, make sure you use the right size feeler gauge, I assume the engine is now cold but use the setting from the book for hot, make sure that as you do each tappet that it's fully up.
While your at it clean all the gunk out of the rocker cover and clean out the PCV valve.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Just use a ring spanner and a screw driver, make sure you use the right size feeler gauge, I assume the engine is now cold but use the setting from the book for hot, make sure that as you do each tappet that it's fully up.
While your at it clean all the gunk out of the rocker cover and clean out the PCV valve.
Nah,

Different setup on this beast.

Lock nut to the head with adjusting nut above, no screwdriver or ring spanner. So the gap is set from below the rocker rather than above.

All open ended stuff with the book requiring the lock nut torqued using an open ended torque wrench. Its only about 20ft/lb so no great drama, just wondered if anyone used the correct equipment or had a stab at it.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
I havent seen it but sounds like you need a crowfoot spanner socket type thingo.
I suppose the most important thing is they are all torqued up the same.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
I havent seen it but sounds like you need a crowfoot spanner socket type thingo.
I suppose the most important thing is they are all torqued up the same.
Yeah, crow foot would be a good description.

Can't believe that anyone actually does this according to the manual.

Just thought we'd ask what methods other folk use.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Send Baja Burley (LUKE)a PM,
He has just finished wacking his L28 back together
Mite have a trade secret ???

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
I should have read that it was a L28 my mistake! Crows foot spanners at supercrap auto for about $12 for 6 pak!

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Crow foot spanners are not the issue.

I can do the job with a set of open enders.

The torque wrench needs to a crow foot type according to the manual.

I can't believe anyone has one.

Also, can't believe I am the only one who has adjusted the tappets on an L28 without one.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Crow foot spanners are not the issue.

The torque wrench needs to a crow foot type according to the manual.

I can't believe anyone has one.

Also, can't believe I am the only one who has adjusted the tappets on an L28 without one.
The crows foot spanners I have have 3/8" drive holes in them to go straight onto a regular tension wrench "mine is 1/2" so I would have to use a 1/2" to 3/8 " adapter.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
The crows foot spanners I have have 3/8" drive holes in them to go straight onto a regular tension wrench "mine is 1/2" so I would have to use a 1/2" to 3/8 " adapter.
Sweet!

Will check it out! Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts