Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Machine
Nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have read several forums on the different rattles people are getting on here.
I have got this one rattle coming from the passenger side,
what sounds to be right at the bottom of the windscreen, but it only rattles when i accelerate!!!
Its sound is heard over the top of the intercooler (which is loud mind you - many people thought i was referring to this)
but it actually sounds like two ten cent pieces rattling and air trying to push through somewhere.
when i sit on the passenger side as the wife drives I have pulled out the glove box with my hand stuck up in the dash trying to grab hold of every possible thing that is in there but with no luck as to finding where it is coming from.
Im now starting to think it is on the outside...

whatever it is, it is driving me CRAZY!!!! every time i rev up and change gear it is there and it is really really loud at 100/kph!!!

has anyone else had this noise come up? I'm ready to take it to nissan and tell them to fix it no matter the cost!

·
Registered
nissan
2,413 Posts
Had a loud rattle similar to the one described in mine for six weeks or so.
Carried a passenger for the first time in ages and he found it to be the LH aircon vent in the dash loose - dab of sikaflex and rattle gone...

·
Machine
Nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what motor?

the 03 4.2 turbo, I have installed an aftermarket cross country intercooler

·
Machine
Nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90mav, yeah nah i have sussed all that out, the noise is either coming from the acute point of where the windscreen meets the dash ( or under the dash somewhere) or the outside. I had a mate tell me it could be something to do with the intake since it is only when accelerating. it doesn't change when the zircon/ fan is on or off. it is there the whole time

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,850 Posts
If you have a snorkel, check where it bolts to the windscreen pillar. I had a rattle like that & it turned out to be the screws holding the bracket to the pillar were loose.:cheers:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does it have a snorkel?

In the safari installation manual it tells you to bend back a small bit of the panel seam inside the front guard, this wasn’t done when the snorkel was "professionally" installed. It can be accessed by removing the shroud above the tyre.

I put up with an acceleration buzz for 2 years before finding this

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
I haven't got it in mine but a mate with same model got this rattle and found out it was the intrusion bar behind the glove box rattling and vibrating.worth a look.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
If advertising is correct, check your ash tray for a set of ear rings before you start pulling anything apart..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
802 Posts
I chased a rattle in the same spot, I disassembled the dash as much as I could, tightened, greased oiled everything in site, took me bloody hours. Same under the bonnet. Took it for a drive, still rattled. Turn out to be the windscreen strip had come out at the bottom on the left hand side and the air going past it made it vibrate against the snorkel.

Good luck, rattles can be bloody hard to isolate.

·
Registered
nissan
372 Posts
Two things id check that drove me nuts, 1: the pannel that houses the wiper mechanism, the factory screws are junk and mine rattled. and 2: Check ur dump pipe where it bolts to the block near the sump, my bracket was cracked and truely drove me nuts under acceleration.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
53 Posts
I had an 02 4.8 and it rattled as well it turned out to be something loose in the passanger air bag and i believe they have now been recalled as they were rattling so much they would go off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a mate who had the same sort of problem, his only started after the cross country cooler was installed. It sort of sounded like radio noise behind the dash, it turned up to be the boost bleed valve that was mounted to the firewall, moved this off the firewall and all was fixed.

·
Machine
Nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
easys4.2gq YOU ARE AWESOME!

Mate you have no idea how grateful I am of your simple piece of input!!!!!!
The months and months ( since XMAS ) I have spent almost daily looking for a gad damn rattle in the dash / outside the firewall!!!
I Owe you a beer, or a carton.
Here I was just booking into nissan to get it looked at at the same time as my 150K service, they said they would charge 130/hour to find the rattle. even offered me to replace the dash, ( i declined instantly it wasn't until after he said oh yeah it would have been $1000 just for the main piece).

Jeezuz, u got no idea how much relief I have now!!
I never realised someone had removed the boost controller from the wheel arch to the firewall. It wasn't until u said that that it clicked to me that it was originally on the wheel arch!

you are amazing! lol
thank you easys4.2gq

now to pull the interior apart to dynamat the **** out of it !!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great to hear it was the same problem, we spent countless hours trying to find it in my mates car, new turbo hoses, clamps making sure it wasn't a leak, taking the mounts off the intercooler to firewall, no intercooler, **** loads of skin lost and words said for such a simple fix!!!
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
274 Posts
if you have a snorkel, check where it bolts to the windscreen pillar. I had a rattle like that & it turned out to be the screws holding the bracket to the pillar were loose.:cheers:
+ 2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts