Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Patrol ZD30Di
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this post is made because after searching I couldn’t find anyone else with this issue but also because I found the cause and it may serve as a help to others. The image is not of my car but it’s the best one I could find that will show where the fault is located in relation to where everything is located.

The rattle sounded like something rotating like a faulty bearing but it turned out to be a fairly rusted part of the exhaust. Hope it helps anyone else who may have a similar issue.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,439 Posts
So this post is made because after searching I couldn’t find anyone else with this issue but also because I found the cause and it may serve as a help to others. The image is not of my car but it’s the best one I could find that will show where the fault is located in relation to where everything is located.

The rattle sounded like something rotating like a faulty bearing but it turned out to be a fairly rusted part of the exhaust. Hope it helps anyone else who may have a similar issue. View attachment 544118
Thats the flexy joiner in the exhaust should be stainless steel and shouldn't rust.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts

The rattle sounded like something rotating like a faulty bearing but it turned out to be a fairly rusted part of the exhaust. Hope it helps anyone else who may have a similar issue. View attachment 544118
Had the internals collapsed or was the rattle external? Were the supports still connected and intact?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats the flexy joiner in the exhaust should be stainless steel and shouldn't rust.
Insect Body jewelry Gesture Finger Thumb
Wood Sleeve Tints and shades Pattern Fashion accessory
Automotive tire Light Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
I bought it with that exhaust on there and near where that join connects to the rear pipe there were bits of rust, it was definitely that as when I put my hand on it and pulled down gently it stopped the noise, I pushed it around a bit and it began to rattle again, so I’ll still need to pull it off and check to see what else it could be, however the rusted bits did fall off.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,765 Posts
Check any exhaust support brackets that bolt to the eng block, g/box or rear eng mount side brkt. I had a right angle brkt break at the bend that was welded (SS) to the top of exhaust pipe just fwd of flex joint and was secured to a rear eng mount (g/box) side brkt. Welded it up and added an angle gusset. Still good.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
Check any exhaust support brackets that bolt to the eng block, g/box or rear eng mount side brkt. I had a right angle brkt break at the bend that was welded (SS) to the top of exhaust pipe just fwd of flex joint and was secured to a rear eng mount (g/box) side brkt. Welded it up and added an angle gusset. Still good.
I had to weld a support bracket that bolted to the gearbox mount back together several weeks ago, hence my earlier question on brackets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like I’ll be checking that too, better to check it, but the pipe does need replacing found a hole in a part of it, hoping it’s just that and no welding needed. Thanks for feedback.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts