Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The price of razors sh*ts me. 20 bucks a pack!
Always shaved but considering swapping out for an electric razor.
Asking seems a bit adolecent but I have never used one so putting it out there.
Whats a good brand / Model ?
Does your face have to get used to it? Think my neck will rash like a b*tch with the dry shave.
What about a cut throat razor? You ever use one of them?

·
Rogue
20,643 Posts
I agree, its bull****! But they do have 16 gazillion extra blades on them now so you have to pay for that.

I think laser hair removal is becoming a good investment. I think I'll be booking in, might also save on haircuts, shampoo, wax, deodorant, toilet paper, vacuums, washing machine powder, washing machines, etc. BARGIN!

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
The electric razors are not as good as the old fashioned soap/shaving cream & razor.

I have the electric one on the left, series 7, Series shavers - Braun
And its not as good as the hand jobbie. As for the cut throat, never tried & don't want to.

You should go and try the electric ones before buying one ;). Seriously, the electric is a lot quicker, but not as effective IMO.

·
Enemy of Reality
11,874 Posts
I only shave fortnightly... i cannot grow decent facial hair (i'm 28 btw not 15! lol). Stop whinging and grow a beard. I wish i could :(

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I only shave fortnightly...
Stop bragging Mic!

I only wish I could shave once a fortnight.................

I get the 5 oClock shaddow 3-4hrs after shaving.

·
Enemy of Reality
11,874 Posts
Stop bragging Mic!

I only wish I could shave once a fortnight.................

I get the 5 oClock shaddow 3-4hrs after shaving.

Not bragging!!!!

I reckon it should be law to grow a beard if you can... makes up for us who can't! I HATE not being able to have cool sidies, or my mo join my chin hair.

Like the band "The Beards" sang... "If your dad don't have a beard, you have two mums"!

·
Part of the furniture around here
19,131 Posts
I've been using Panasonic Wet & Dry shavers for years. They are rechargeable and good for a week's worth of shaving (once a day) on a single charge and you can use them with shaving gel/oil and in the shower. No rashes or the like from these. A good place to check them out in is the Shaver Shop.

Cheers

Ray

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I had an electric and it sucked for the first 2 weeks... but after that it worked well... the bloke at "the shaver shop" told me I had to train my skin/whiskers for it to work best, he said upto 4 weeks depending how often I shaved.

Wish I still had the thing... might have to get myself one for xmas. Agree on the disposables.

·
Allergic to IFS
1,006 Posts
Unfortunately i have the same affliction as poor old Mic,

However i do blow the dust off the old leccie razor every now and then and fire it up. made my neck go nuts with a rash for a while but
skin gets used to it. i reckon a cuthroat razor would be pretty boss but i wouldnt wanna attempt one of those "last minute shaves before headin out on the town after charging up for cheap at home:cheers:" shaves.

Could turn out a bit like that scene from "Resevoir Dogs"

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
i use the old style flat razor blades. some barber shops have them for $2 for 5. when i was in the states a couple of years ago i bought 35 packets of 10 for $1.70 a pack. still got a couple of years worth left!
another place to buy them is ebay.
Paul

·
Ring In..... for now
282 Posts
I've got a cut throat & really like it, does the best job if you've got he patience & inclination for it.

As someone above mentioned though, there ain't no rushing that baby or you're gonna be the one with a cut throat.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
6,289 Posts
I currently work in an Aged Care facility and shaving the male residents is one of my daily duties.
Although most of the blokes are of a generation where the cut throat was commonly used, it is, however, banned. Ive got a steady hand but none of them have steady heads....lol.

The electric razor is also a no-no as it tends to drag on the skin and cause severe rashes.

The multi blade disposables are excellent so long as certain preps are made.
Its important to heat the facial area well, hot towels etc, keep the face well wetted and to use a slow drying soap. Liquid dish wash beats anything currently on the market.

Its also important to shave against the grains. Every beard has them, then finish off with a light moisturiser.

I know shaving is a ritual most of us hate and we get it done as quickly as we can but a great shave needs time, technique and patience.

Cheers.....Lionel.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I once enquired at the shaver shop and they can organize a loaner electric so you can determine what type suits your facial hair. The two electric types are foil and circular cutters can't remember which way around but one is better for coarse hair the other fine hair. If you don't get that right you won't get the closest shave.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
171 Posts
After spending 11 years in the Defence Force where I daily shaving was COMPULSARY I got out 12 years ago & have shaved once since. That was for Movember a few years ago when I said I would start fresh if I raised $1000 at work. I did! My daughter had never seen me as a clean skin & would not go near me for 3 days. Saved a fortune not shaving.

·
Weekend Warrior
10,372 Posts
I have a red beard and brown hair, its ****
lol you me both!

I use a Gillette Mach 3, just does a nice job. I have a cheap hair shaver for when its a bit long, which saves clogging up the razor.

Im going to look into that Panasonic wet n dry thingo Ray, sounds like nice little gadget.

·
"Toxic Personality"
8,962 Posts
I have a red beard and brown hair, its ****
Same as me. . cept i start looking unshaven if i dont shave for a day. . . iv been using a philips electric for ages, its waterproof, cordless, holds its charge for weeks, and has a trimmer on the back for the hair on the sides and back of ya neck in between haircuts. . . . its awesome.

Attachments

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
I get the "bic" disposables, the green ones they are brilliant and cheap too, 10 for under $8 last about 3 to 5 shaves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts