Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I looking at putting an RB Conversion in my 07 3.0 GU Patrol, Im looking for opinion's on whether or not I should go an RB or something else.

Cheers Doug

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,017 Posts
Leave the ZD, or LS2/3

·
Registered
nissan
975 Posts
Don't do it! Rb's are an oversquare engine (larger bore than stroke) and not suitable for such a heavy vehicle as a GU Patrol. You need something with lots of torque low in the rev range and at least 4 preferably 5 litres in capacity if your going to spend money on a conversion. Otherwise stick with the original engine and save your cash for a vehicle upgrade.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
83 Posts
How about the falcon 4.0l six. Nice power and cheap to buy and the option for a turbo if you wish. You can pick a N/A unit for bugger all. Quite a few conversions of this type have been done by now.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,243 Posts
N/A FG falcons are pulling over 200rwkw with just a tune and exhaust these days..... definitely an option. Will meet emissions too

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Look at the Killa Kustom Kables site for the falcon 6cyl and 6 speed auto conversion.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
I havnt seen a 2j or a 1j on one yet
maybe you can be the first

I don't understand why do that to an 07
they are still pretty new
and rb is 20 years old so in theory should not be allowed

also if your dash is a canbus dash then theres alot of extra work to get everything to work just like it did before u played with it

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Forget the 2J/1J idea, need more cubes.

1UZ or 2UZ is the go. Preferably 1UZ with a turbo or two.
Easily will turn out 400hp on pretty low boost with a stock engine and unbeatable reliability.

Ontop of that you will get fantastic economy as they are a high tech multivalve engine with all the fruit.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
yes if only everyone had the cash to do a twin turbo 1uz
std ecu and wrong diff gearing they have poor economy
ive played with many in 4wds and don't really excite me anymore

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Dont worry about the expense of twin turbo just run with the single to keep costs down.

Standard ecu, not sure why you would bother really. Considering people spend 35K on a 6.5 chev conversion to make 1/4 of the power and 1/2 the torque of a turbo 1uz I cant see how the build would even come close to that figure.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
yer
the last 6.5 I saw on the dyno pulled something just under 140 150 kws
did u hear about the twin turbo 454 patrol that caught on fire

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
yer
the last 6.5 I saw on the dyno pulled something just under 140 150 kws
did u hear about the twin turbo 454 patrol that caught on fire
sheesh thats super high, ive run lots of them both super and turbo charged and the highest ive ever seen was 127kw lol

Did not hear about the patrol fire. Details?>

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
sorry I was prob exaggerating the kws
prob was around 120 to 130

dodgey person wired up afew battery power studs
rubbed thru bonnet and whole engine bay caught alight
anyway very long story behind it, cant really comment to much on here

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
so much power it kept stuffing up gboxes so he decided to goto a 6l80
which is prob the worst auto ever
and just after it all got converted it caught alight because someone who touched it afew months back did a shonky job and not much soft stuff survived in the engine bay

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Yeah its a different kettle of fish when talking tow/heavy vehicles. I do tune quite a few ttv8 but mainly in drag applications.

I found the good old turbo 400 pretty good for most fairly serious 4x4 if you have good cooling on it though. Even turbo 700 beefed up with a standalone computer works pretty well for most combo's.

If your going to the extent of a big block twin turbo though its probably a good idea to be running an alison behind it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts