Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a fair bit of mud driving, the alternator has finally died on me. Tried to flush it out, but its good as gone.
Theres a few threads around the place about replacements but theres not real answers.

Given the age, and condition of second hand alternators, ive pretty much ruled them out. So what other alternators fit. I hear that a Commodore v8 one works with a minor bracket mod? Interestingly enough I tried an old 108amp magna alternator I had lying around (bosch), but the lower mount brackets are the opposite way, and this it wont physically fit.

Most importantly, what alternator is going to stand up best to some mud torture ?

Anyone relocated it higher up ?

·
Registered
nissan
76 Posts
you can buy a plug in replacement for around $300, go to your local auto electrician and they will be able to get you one. Dont mess around with second hand items they never last. Someone on outer limits has moved it higher but requires a fair bit of work. I dont think any alternators would stand up to mud.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the Auto Elec look at mine, brushes are flogged out, but all else tests out good.

Had the option of a full rebuild, or just a semi rebuild which replaces the brushes and bearings. I ended up taking the cheaper rebuild on his advice that I will probably be back in with worn brushes before the rest of the unit died.

Am still thinking how to relocate it up higher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts