Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any carb should work on any engine. bolt pattern would be the major problem as far as i can tell. im sure all vac hoses and throttle cable etc should hook up easy. is that carb any better though?
Dunno neRok.

The POS that's on it runs out of fuel if it goes over a speed hump.:headwall:

Other than this, what's an Edelbrok(?) worth and has anyone got one FS? Apparently they are the ducks nuts for rough terrain.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Dunno neRok.

The POS that's on it runs out of fuel if it goes over a speed hump.:headwall:
Hey mate if the existing carby throttle body is ok and will pass the right amount of air down the throat (diameter of body and diameter of venturi region should be in the carby specs) you can probably jet it to work properly (may need a carby expert "now a dying breed") Assuming the float level is right and you have a decent fuel pump to keep up with it (put on an electric one if necessary)

You should be able to get it working properly. Wrong fuel to air ratio using a bigger carby doesn't translate to more horses. Try to get a stock carby set it up properly then do something with the exhaust to get the extra ponies!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
"Offroad kit"?

Sounds promising. Are they available for other brands?
holleys are no good offroad due to their fuel bowl design, the float opens up on hills and causes flooding and all sorts of issue. 'offroad kits' are a band-aid solution (dodgy black-and-gold band aid at that) and dont fix the problem but make it less of a problem. spreadbore carbs such as the rochester quadrajet are completely different offroad and these work awesome, its what I put on my overlander to fix its problems. edelbrock used to make aftermarket versions of the quadrajet, but not anymore.

but these are all 4 barrel carbs, most likely overkill for the L28, although the spreadbore design would probably work okay.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
holleys are no good offroad due to their fuel bowl design, the float opens up on hills and causes flooding and all sorts of issue. 'offroad kits' are a band-aid solution (dodgy black-and-gold band aid at that) and dont fix the problem but make it less of a problem. spreadbore carbs such as the rochester quadrajet are completely different offroad and these work awesome, its what I put on my overlander to fix its problems. edelbrock used to make aftermarket versions of the quadrajet, but not anymore.

but these are all 4 barrel carbs, most likely overkill for the L28, although the spreadbore design would probably work okay.
Bugger!

That brings in manifold probs.

Looks like I might have to take the bull by the balls and teach myself how to get the best out of the Weber.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... Try to get a stock carby set it up properly then do something with the exhaust to get the extra ponies!...
Yeah. I think this is the go. Already has extractors and electric fuel pump (will check the pressure).

Will have to get into the setup side of things.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,263 Posts
webbers are high volume low pressure, Maybe try a surge tank with it.??????

Get a good tune muzz it should be right, Maybe pull it apart and put a kit through it. All you need is a few small screwdrivers and and air compressor to blow the jets out.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,691 Posts
Muzz,
The standard L28 carbs have a real fine filter just inside the carb
IF these bugger up at all,itll run (If it does) like a bag of sh*t

Jelmer ,is running a 4 barrell (replaced the twin carb set up)
Not sure how its all goin for him

But a good well set up standard carb will do the trick
The screaming L28 here goes to 6,000 rpm standard carb no issues at all

The carb formula is 2 CFM per cuin
Goin holleys or equvelant will result in adaptor plates or manifold mods or manifold replacement

Try and get a set of twin carbs from a "Z" car ,even a standard L28 will go better with these

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
EFI is the way to go!! I've tried the stock carb, twin SU carbs and now a 4 barrel. They all suck offroad!:headwall:
Alltough, the best out of these 3 is the stock carb and the worst is the 4 barrel Eddy.

I'm going 280zx EFI, got all the stuff already! On my Stroker i'm going aftermarket EFI.

·
Registered
Nissan
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks folks!

Pretty well decided to stick with the Weber and just do a bit of study.

And, Jelmer! One day I want to party with you dude.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That carby has been rebuilt twice since it went on. First timewhen I first had the carby putting it on, and then again by a carby 'expert' in Knox. Also checked over by a carby expert in Bayswater and given the 'ok'. First guy got the air con assist jet stuck on all the time so it ran rich all the time. Was never really happy with it and got sick of spending money on it.

Never really seemed to have an issue with angle, maybe clogged up with dirt? Have you also checked the fuel filter near the fuel pump, and also the tiny filter in the pump? Might need a new filter and a clean.

You should have the stock carby in the pile of bits. Suggest you have a go at rebuilding that and putting it back on. Should make it more driveable as it has a bit more low down torque than the webber, but I think the larger and heavier tyres I had on it sucked up some of the power and drivability. 31s, stock carby and extractors and the thing was a rocket..... which might not be a good thing :) Manual choke was the only drawback of the stock carby. Auto choke on the webber was much easier.

Regards,
[email protected]

·
Registered
637 Posts
forgot to add, I've got to rear grab handles here that I took off to fit the roll bar in, a plastic inner door liner, some pins and bushes for the fixed on of the leaf springs, a remote control for a panasonic stereo (I think it's for your unit, if it's still fitted), a carby manifold gasket, an oil pump gasket and a lock for the petrol filler flap. Please let me know if you want any of it. Oh, also still have the how to modify and how to rebuild your L28 books if you want.

Regards,
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts