1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried doing a search on this, even looked up sevice manual,
"may need a puller to remove"

hmm can any one tell me how to remove the bottom timing cog off the crankshaft so i can replace the seal? do I use the same puller that i used for the crankshaf pulley?
and do i need to take the cam retainer off to replace this seal or do i just stick it and pull it out??
Sorry if I seem like a dumb ass just dont wanna stuff any thing up.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the timing gear will most likley be seized on and require cutting it to get it off. It is rare for any of them to have holes in for a puller.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
can you post a pic of it, for memory they should pull of quite easily as they are a keyway setup. is there a big washer/round plate behind the gear?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Been a while since I have had one of these apart, as said it should fall off once the bolt & front pulley are removed but they are up to 24 years old now so that may be difficult.

From memory that do have holes drilled in them, if it does then use your harmonic balancer pulled to remove it. If not sometimes, & I stress SOMETIMES, a claw puller will fit around the outside to remove it.

On the really hard ones, soak it in penetrating oil (Wurth Rost Off is best) & wait. Thus will often work.

Failing that a bit of heat on the pulley itself. Be careful not to put too much heat in to the crank as you may damage the front bearing. Oxy acetylene is best as it can concentrate the heat where you want it.

Last resort, cut it off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Been there done that, due to the oil pump cover you won't fit a claw puller in behind it. Yes it should just pull off by hand, but age is against you. buy a new one, cut the old one with a thin cut-off disc and hit with a chisel to split it. Clean up the crank shaft, lube up the new one with some anti-seize paste before re-assembling. Lots of info on R31 skyline and Vl dunnydore forums on this.

PS now that you've bent the backing disc with a screwdriver trying to get the gear off, you'll need a new one of those too to prevent damaging the belt.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, i did look at commodore site as well. I was not the one who bent that disk cheers Dink

1 - 7 of 7 Posts