Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just curious

Is the vl commodore rb30 more or less the same as the gq rb30 and if so would it be possible to use both engines to build 1 new 1

The idea behind this is i want to make mine a rb30 turbo but mines carby atm and want to make it fuel injected etc

If anyone has info etc im in perth wa
0474180773 feel free to text me but (no phone calls please!)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
Same engine, just need to swap the sump off the VL engine to the rear patrol sump and move the dipstick on the block

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks simmo actually very helpful
But i reckon il go with the ls1 convertion less drama

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so has anybody in perth wa done this sort of convertion, and is it possible to meet so i can have a look at how u did it and have a chat about a few technical stuff cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yhea realised that after doing more research which is why im sticking to rb30 turbo

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does anyone have close up pics of the work done during the conversion?
And is there anyone in perth that i can catch up with and have a chat aswell as check their setup ?

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Just use your existing engine, put the efi inlet and dizzy on it, wire it, fuel pump, exhaust manifold and turbo.
alot less work than swapping engines.
the rb30s cam is better for outright grunt over all other rb30 variants also, so id keep that even if you do swap engines.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so i have actually started this conversion and for now sll i have done is remove the carby manifold etc and fitted the efi manifold, whats next??

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Ok so i have actually started this conversion and for now sll i have done is remove the carby manifold etc and fitted the efi manifold, whats next??
You're kidding?!!!
Did you follow the threads Simmoevo posted above?
If you're not familiar with this kind of mechanical work, familiarize yourself by reading as much as you can first.
This is something you learn as you go.
I'm guessing you already have a full EFI engine with ECU and wiring loom?
And you have other necessary EFI engine requirements like the high pressure EFI fuel pump and other fuel rail related
bit and pieces?
If you're planning to do the conversion DIY without knowing much about the process, it may help to get hold of
all the bits and pieces first by making an inventory of necessary parts.
Getting hold of a Skyline or a VL might be a good idea.

Nobody's documented this conversion from beginning to end with details and pictures. There're only bit and pieces documented by many guys who's done the conversion, 'cos obviously nobody has time to spend documenting it as it would take more time to document the conversion than actually doing it.

I'm planning to thoroughly document the whole conversion, but not anytime soon though. I'm hoping in this December or January, but not 100% sure.

I suggest you take a crack at it and document as you go and ask questions as you go.

Asking umbrella questions like "What's next" ain't gonna get you much response from the blokes here I would say so.
Start researching the project yourself. AFAICT, most demanding part of the conversion is not the mechanical stuff, it's the electrical stuff. It's not rocket science, but it's not a one day project either. Take your time and learn as you go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts