1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

im looking at buying my first 4x4.

im looking for a bit of a project to do over time. it will just be a weekend toy but i wanna have it registered.

i have been looking around a bit and found a few GQ's with rb30 engines in them.

how do these engines go in the GQ?

are they ok off road?

for towing?

i appreciate all info

thanks

·
Registered
757 Posts
you will need every weekend to be a long weekend if you plan on taking it anywhere as by the time you get back from your trip you would have run out of time!!!.

People will tell you a 2.8 diesel Patrol is slow but its nothing like these things. If you must get a petrol powered unit go the 4.2 (if you can afford to run it)

RB30 is a very underpowered unit in the Patrol. Its fine in the commodore

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
People will tell you a 2.8 diesel Patrol is slow but its nothing like these things
I know a bloke with a full blown turbo one that would care to differ lol. There is also a simple mod that can be done to them to power them up a bit and apparently they don't go all that bad after this, although they probably don't have the best torque curve for offroading.

However, IMHO, as Camo said get a 4.2 if you can especially if you want to tow

·
Registered
nissan
172 Posts
people say there **** but most have never driven one.

i have the rb30 in my dual cab patrol, done 430,000kms still going strong

there easy to work on
ad efi and they go evan better or spend $800 for a turbo kit and ur laughing.
if u blow a motor u can go pick one up any day of the week for $200
heaps of room under the bonnet for mods.

iv owned td42's and tb42's and never thought id ever want an rb30 patrol but after owning one there realy not as bad as people make out.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Ill take using my personal experience of the RB30 patrol. First ill say that mine has extractors on it, so that does make a bit of a performance difference.

Now for on road use it is slow, but realistically its more than enough to keep up with traffic. Only real annoyance is hills, where quite often you will need to gear down to maintain speed. That said the RB30 likes some revs, so it will happily (also noisily) turn over at 3,000rpm all day every day.

As for offroad im yet to really have a problem with it. Yes it does have less low down torque than the bigger motors, but in low 1st its still quite acceptable to climb over rocks nice and slow. The RB30 itself does have lot of downlow torque for a 3l engine.

As for upgrades, id say its alot easier to get power out of a RB30 cheapily compared to a TB42. Cheap upgrades are a EFI setup, or even a Turbo setup using the EFI gear out of a VL turbo. Theres a few builds like this around so search. Another big advantage is the RB30 engine itself is very cheap to buy second hand if anything goes wrong.

Last point ill like to make is that you can find RB30 Patrols a fair bit cheaper than the TB42 version. Infact given the Km and condition of the car I purchased I easily saved enough on the purchase price to install reduction low range gears, and build a budget turbo (neither ive done yet, but im just saying).

Point of it all. If you can find a cheap RB30 patrol, and are handy at some DIY work, you can make it better both on, AND offroad compared to the TB42 option.

If you want to buy a Patrol leave the engine and drivetrain stock and drive it. TB42 is the better option.
If you want to buy a Patrol and are willing to do some modifications, than the RB30 is the better option IMO

·
Registered
nissan
76 Posts
Have you ever owned or driven one camo75?
They are good enough, i own one definately faster than a 2.8 hands down
Ask anyone who owns one they cant really fault them for the price vs performance

No problems offroad, will find it is limited only by the tyres, lift, lockers before the engine

As for towing i have never really done any, cant see it being that bad

good points
4.2 radiator impossible to over heat no matter what you do
Parts everywhere for them, really easy to work on
Very reliable and love to be driven hard
Easy and cheaper to turbo than tb4.2 if you ever want to do that (have turboed mine now)

Bad points
fuel consumption 16L+/100km depending on what you are doing (still way better than 4.2)
carby doesnt like hills, only really steep ones though. Not hard to put efi off vl or r31 on though, also helps fuel ecconomy and power

Dont listen to the rubbish about the gear boxes being weak nothing wrong with them.

They really arent as bad as they are made out to be, pretty good value considering what you will pay for one.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ill take using my personal experience of the RB30 patrol. First ill say that mine has extractors on it, so that does make a bit of a performance difference.

Now for on road use it is slow, but realistically its more than enough to keep up with traffic. Only real annoyance is hills, where quite often you will need to gear down to maintain speed. That said the RB30 likes some revs, so it will happily (also noisily) turn over at 3,000rpm all day every day.

As for offroad im yet to really have a problem with it. Yes it does have less low down torque than the bigger motors, but in low 1st its still quite acceptable to climb over rocks nice and slow. The RB30 itself does have lot of downlow torque for a 3l engine.

As for upgrades, id say its alot easier to get power out of a RB30 cheapily compared to a TB42. Cheap upgrades are a EFI setup, or even a Turbo setup using the EFI gear out of a VL turbo. Theres a few builds like this around so search. Another big advantage is the RB30 engine itself is very cheap to buy second hand if anything goes wrong.

Last point ill like to make is that you can find RB30 Patrols a fair bit cheaper than the TB42 version. Infact given the Km and condition of the car I purchased I easily saved enough on the purchase price to install reduction low range gears, and build a budget turbo (neither ive done yet, but im just saying).

Point of it all. If you can find a cheap RB30 patrol, and are handy at some DIY work, you can make it better both on, AND offroad compared to the TB42 option.

If you want to buy a Patrol leave the engine and drivetrain stock and drive it. TB42 is the better option.
If you want to buy a Patrol and are willing to do some modifications, than the RB30 is the better option IMO
I think you should be on the next Top Gear series!

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the feedback guys,

def food for thought. i would ideally like to buy a diesel and eventually turbo it, but im unsure if i can afford one yet.

might have to settle for the rb30

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
thanks for all the feedback guys,

def food for thought. i would ideally like to buy a diesel and eventually turbo it, but im unsure if i can afford one yet.

might have to settle for the rb30
If it's your first fourbie then my advice would be to buy a cheapy, do the bare minimum to it and get lots of use out of it!
After some experience you will have a much better idea of what vehicle/motor for the next one. You can even start saving while you have fun.

I've built up so many off roaders and then decided I wanted something different.

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
I've owned one for a while now & just done the carby plate & extractor mods & it does ok. I go anywhere any of the big boys do except maybe in a lower gear.
But for towing anything bigger than a box trailer you really need to efi &/or turbo them.
I am very happy with mine but now have an older, heavier 16' caravan & it struggles with the hills, that being said I still only have carby set-up. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
im on me second rb30 powered troll, awesome rigs, you can rev the guts out of them and they wont die, they run well on gas, ive never broken down in one, no cooling/motor issues, if you service and treat it right you should get at least 350000 k's out of it.

ive towed about 1.2 tonnes of bricks and it handeled it well, on my old one i did need a gearbox rebuild after 140 000k's but i bought it at 121000, it had no service history and i didnt know what to look for.

but apart from that i loved it and the one ive got now has even less k's on it and i have plans for it turbo wise.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes i have driven one and compared to my current 2.8 it was so slow (it was on gas).
The slighest hill on the hwy and the thing would die in the arse. At least with the 2.8 i can hold 5th gear on the hwy.
Off road the thing was fine but you spend a lot more time on road than off.

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
I believe there is a honeycomb restriction thingy between the carby & manifold on them, remove it an you get a decent improvement in acceleration. On my previous GQ I swapped my carby over to a custom plenum on a VL manifold with a gas research throttlebody. The thing went well with just that swap, It even kept beside a mates V6 VN and would chirp 3rd gear on 31's. I later put a turbo on it and she screamed...

·
Registered
275 Posts
G'day guys, i have an RB30 as well and it is a good rig, I get really annoyed at the blokes that bag them when these questions are asked. Yes they are a bit under powered and you have to accept some hills will slow you down some what but the positive is that you are unlikely to have any issues with it other than that.

Mine has done 280k and is still running great, I have extractors, removed that honeycomb thingy in the carby and it runs alot better. Given that I have a delux steel arb bar up front, dual batteries, snorkel, kaymar rear bar & 150 litre long range tank i have a bit extra weight on mine and I still have no issues with it.

I just accept that it is slow on hills but I am not in a hurry anyway when I am on holidays. I also just got back from landcruiser park last weekend and had no issues going where the other guys went including a bonnet deep running creek crossing towing a fully loaded box trailer.

·
Registered
nissan
334 Posts
Yeah you just got to use the revs & gears like a sports car cause the rb30 just LOVES to rev, once you've done the carby plate (honeycomb fuel warmer) mod & put extractors on. You can shock a lot of people at the lights, hey I'm 50 & still don't mind doing that (occasionally haha).
their numbers are -
nm's - 224
kw's - 100
but thats as standard of course. :bigthumb:

p.s. mines done over 298 000k's & doesn't blow any smoke or use any oil what so ever

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a 91 GQ Patrol with the RB30 Motor - Carby Job, and yeah I have had no issues, done 485 000k's and never missed a beat, changed the exhaust, you are right in loosing power up hill, but apart from that no prob;s, believe it or not but it doesn't leak a drop of oil. It goes offroad as much as on bitumen, she may be slow, but certainly does the trick.

·
Registered
nissan
276 Posts
I have one also and yes they are crap on hills but if you use your gearbox well you can get up them Ok.
I have towed a 22ft caravan and it did it well(apart from the hills)
In top gear it will cruise at 125+ and love it.
I must admit though i have recently fitted some 33in mud tyres(from 31s) and i have noticed it is down on power.
I have a Turbo GQ in the back yard with a gas research set up on it and when i get the chance the set up will be going in mine.

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
RB30? Tough as nails, also you could always drop in a EFI engine (nissan of course - dont get holden they have different/inferior heads) and you will pick up fuel economy, power etc.

They are truely an engine to stand the test of time.

I had an old engine in my skyline that I turbod, NA compression, tonnes of boost and it has found its way into a MK patrol. With probably around 300,000 + kms on the clock it cops an absolute beating with even more boost up its arse than I ran in my skyline!

Best engine IMO.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
im in the buy a rb30 group. im running the carbu mod and a snorkel and she goes all day. i dont reall have a problem with the hills, there is usuall someone going slower any way. the only problem i have had with mine is getting bogged lol. other than that it keeps up with all the other trucks. used it for a few recoveries now without fail. mine towed a forester on a trailer the other week not a problem hardly noticed it on the back even on hills.

Love it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts