Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if i pull an injected turbo rb30 engine or an injected engine out of a vl or skyline will they bolt straight into my rb30 patrol thanks

·
Registered
nissan
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it would be easier to just wack a injected or injected turbo engine in thanks for the replys

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
i thought it would be easier to just wack a injected or injected turbo engine in thanks for the replys
Not really because you will have to change the sump and you still have to change the fuel lines to suit & get it all wired up etc anyway, so it works out being alot more work IMO. An engine swap compared to simply bolting on the required parts needed I know what I would prefer to do (provided your own engine is still in good order). Also you can sell the carby engines electronic ignition for decent coin as most VL owners that want to run straight gas are after these and that would cover the costs of parts needed for your own conversion anyway (Standard EFI set up). Someone may even swap you for everything needed as they will no longer need any EFI gear if going straight gas...

If you want to fit a turbo later on go with an after market set up like a Monsta T04E kit.
They are reasonably cheap and give good results. I have used one in the past and produced decent power & reliability out of it. And many others run the same set up in their RB30 Patrols & Commodores...

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
the standard low mount turbo hits the engine mount you either have to grind it, or go high mount
How much does it hi by ? Is their much grinding needed?

·
Registered
nissan
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replys everyone so id need a skyline or vl ecu plus wiring, inlet manifold and anything else?

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
You will need:
Manifold, fuel rail, injectors, distributor, external fuel pump, EFI fuel filter, ECU, wiring loom and all the sensors (02, crank angle, airflow meter, TPS etc).

You will need to replace the low pressure carby fuel lines with high pressure EFI lines and you can use the original intank pump as a pick up before the VL external pump (with or without a surge tank - better off with one). Get an electrician to wire it up with new relays etc for the EFI and Bob's your uncle. Pretty easy really and won't cost you too much at all...

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
How much does it hi by ? Is their much grinding needed?
im not sure mate, thats what i got told by a few others that have done the conversion, one guy ground his the other used a high mount, i went high mount. like the other guys have said i would recommend leaving your motor in and just getting stuff to bolt on its easier, its already the series 2 block. if you go straight gas even better, timing can be advanced more plus you don't need a computer, or injectors or fuel pump or different dizzy. just get a vl or r31 manifold and plug up the injector and other holes and you have yourself a straight gas inlet manifold. i've finally got everything i need to do mine, starting it on friday :D

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
RB30 Carb to EFI

When i did mine i had an RB30 with 320,000km in the truck with ran perfect but had a pretty bad oil leak(loosing 1lt every 1000km) i picked up an engine with all the EFI gear out of a R31 skyline with 97,000km so it was a no brainer for me to do engine swap, was very easy. When doing my research i found out that the cams are different from carb to EFI so the power gain is less if you use the carb cam but all other internals are the same.
I used the nissan wiring and computer was so much easier to wire up, there is some instructions on here somewhere which is how i got the info for mine.

Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts