Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the RD28 to RB30 conversion, just wanna know if i should use the both wiring loom sides of the skyline or tap into what is existing on the patrol....! i have the manual computer and the wiring loom to it.
if there is a link to a wiring diagram that would be much appreciated

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
sit the loom on the engine and run it inside the car
then just join which ever wires need joining
run 2 relays and yr done

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
hey fellas
how everyone doing?
just wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem im having ive just done an rb30det coversion on my 99 2.8gu patrol got everything working and the cars going awesome except for the tacho!!
ive found the standard gu tacho wire (yellow/black) and ran a wire from that wire to the coil (blue) wire soon as i connect the tacho to the coil wire the motor dies!! i was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting their stock tacho working somehow or is there no way around having to use an aftermarket tacho?

any help would be great

thanks

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
the blue wire I think might be the trigger for the ignitor on the rb30

what colour is the wire from the negative coil
on a vl it brown/red

can u run the yellow black directly to the coil and wire it to negative coil
its the wire that is not black/white as black/white is 12v ign power to coil

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
The rb30et has a tachometer output wire bundled in the loom about 20cm back down the loom from the coil. I'm not sure about the tachometer setup on the diesel, but on a carb to EFI rb30 swap you can splice it to the factory tachometer wire and it will operate the gauge in the dash. No further mods required.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sit the loom on the engine and run it inside the car
then just join which ever wires need joining
run 2 relays and yr done
Ok! So have you done the conversion ??? And your just saying leave the patrol loom in and just Tapp into what I need to???

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
the best way is to write down what all the wires do on the body plugs on the rb30 loom
u wont find a diagram for it
u should be able to find what the ecu wires do on google
u need an efi and a fuel pump relay
then just power the relays and ecu and coil and it should start if you have done it right

if u don't understand how things work
then just google afew Nissan diagrams and study them to get an idea on how things work
this helps when it comes to diagnosing

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
i found the wire in the coil harness its the white/black wire ,hooked it up to the tacho and she works!! i checked it with my multimeter and its spot on.
thanks for the help :driving:

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Ok! So have you done the conversion ??? And your just saying leave the patrol loom in and just Tapp into what I need to???[/QUOTE

i took the 2.8 loom that runs from the ecu to all the sensors out completely only wires i left in were the ignition feed to starter solenoid the rest i threw out < i mounted my rb30 ecu where the old one was and ran all the wires that plug into the rb30 ecu straight into the engine bay, then there are 3 wires on the rb30 ecu that need power, 1 needs a 12v constant and the other 2 only need ignition power, and it will fire up i will take some photos tonight after work and send em to you

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
that's the cheating way of running it
one I wire is power
other wire is ign
other wire is power from efi relay
and then u have start signal to ecu for cold start enrichment

then u have a wire which triggers the efi relay
this is so the ecu can keep power onto the air flow meter for a split second to clean it once u turn ign off

then u have fuel pump relay which is triggered by ecu and u also have to find ire to power the cold start idle valve

so in theory u can get it started using 3 wires but u don't get the cold start enrichment or the air flow element cleaning or the cold start idle up
but the 3 to 5 wire way is the home job way and u would not notice much difference to wiring it right
or wiring it using only 3 wires

the only thing I suggest is wiring the fuel pump relay correctly incase of an accident as u need the fuel pump to turn off when engine stalls just incase your wiring fails and the car catches alite ,
ive seen nice pics of a patrol with a melted engine bay due to poor wiring

1 - 11 of 11 Posts