Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just replaced a cracked head on my sons GU RD28, sourced a complete second hand running engine that was removed only for a LS1 conversion, the head had only 30000 k's on it, so I removed it and put it on my sons engine, along with my sons original injectors and glow plugs that were relatively as new, I fitted brand new timing kit, new water pump, the engine took a lot to fire up, had to end up using aero start then she fired up ran rough for a minute then cleared, the problem is when the car is dead cold, go to start and its just loading up with diesel and pouring truck loads of white smoke out, it then fires runs rough then conks out, glow again same thing misfires heaps of smoke, once this clears the engine runs beautiful, I know the timing marks are spot on as I checked it over I recon 20 times lol, the only thing thats changed is the new head, prior to removing the head we didnt have this starting issue, could it be injector timing?

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
I use the air bag light as my glow plug timer. When the air bag light goes out, crank.

Does the hand priming pump stay hard, or (just before you start it as described above) does it pump?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The glowing is not the issue as we have that on a manual press button switch, count to 20 seconds then hit the key, I havent checked the primer, I had replaced the fuel filter the same time I replaced the head, I used a repco fuel filter, could that be a issue?

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Probably not.

Filters with a thinner seal can cause problems on corrugated roads by opening the seal and letting air in. Not the problem here.

But I'd check to see if it can be primed any before start. If it can, then look for the leak.

Also, maybe a confidence check (multimeter) on your manual glow switch.

·
Registered
nissan
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well a simple fix with a advance fuel plate, and the 2.8 starts and idles perfectly on a cold morning, no smoking or missing, very happy indeed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts