Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all thinking of doing an engine swap in my rd2.8 and was wondering what things im going to need. Im going to be buying a complete 4.2 car with a fair bit of rust in it so gonna do the conversion so will have engine, gearbox, diffs, engine loom, and whatever else needed from the car

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi all thinking of doing an engine swap in my rd2.8 and was wondering what things im going to need. Im going to be buying a complete 4.2 car with a fair bit of rust in it so gonna do the conversion so will have engine, gearbox, diffs, engine loom, and whatever else needed from the car
You will need the skills to,cut the engine mounts off both chassis and have the 4.2s welded in place with quality weld.While the engine is out,get in the bay and clean the plenum under the windscreen with compressed air to blow all the chit n leaves out then treat with a good rust preventative.You will have all the conversion bits from the donor,will have to remove the dash completely to change the harness,which plugs into the rear section under the LF seat [ rear harness is same/same ] I think the tacho is different,so use the donor cluster as well.Big job but satisfying as you complete each stage.

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need the skills to,cut the engine mounts off both chassis and have the 4.2s welded in place with quality weld.While the engine is out,get in the bay and clean the plenum under the windscreen with compressed air to blow all the chit n leaves out then treat with a good rust preventative.You will have all the conversion bits from the donor,will have to remove the dash completely to change the harness,which plugs into the rear section under the LF seat [ rear harness is same/same ] I think the tacho is different,so use the donor cluster as well.Big job but satisfying as you complete each stage.

Cheers,G.
Cheers mate

·
Every dog has his day
18,158 Posts
The engine conversion section would have been the obvious place to ask but nevertheless...

You only need to change one mount, not both, as one is the same. If you're not confident with welding you can even buy a bolt on engine mount adaptor for the side that does need changing, from Patrolapart.

You'll need the 42 gearbox as that's bigger, and unless you're using 35" tyres you'll also want to swap the diff centres, the 28 had 4.625s but the 42 has 4.1s in a GQ.

At a guess the radiator may have outlets on wrong side so may have to swap that good?

Having an entire donor car is great, you have all the parts you need as you find out things are different 👍

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The engine conversion section would have been the obvious place to ask but nevertheless...

You only need to change one mount, not both, as one is the same. If you're not confident with welding you can even buy a bolt on engine mount adaptor for the side that does need changing, from Patrolapart.

You'll need the 42 gearbox as that's bigger, and unless you're using 35" tyres you'll also want to swap the diff centres, the 28 had 4.625s but the 42 has 4.1s in a GQ.

At a guess the radiator may have outlets on wrong side so may have to swap that good?

Having an entire donor car is great, you have all the parts you need as you find out things are different 👍
I wasn't aware one engine mt was ok,makes the job simpler,would be easier [and cleaner] to just swap the entire diffs from the donor rather than pulling the axles to change centres,

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If your going to the trouble of swapping out the both diff housings you might as well replace all the wheel bearings, king pin bearings because who knows what condition they're in and how long they'll last. You can get the diff centre bearings checked as well to see if they're ok it may save pulling it all apart again or having a failure in the bush.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
I wouldn’t say swapping complete diff housings is easier then centres.
The gb and shafts will be out already. The rear is an hour job tops, the front maybe 1.5h, and while the front is apart as said do ya bearings and what not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I made TD42 conversion 10 years ago and still have patrol. Didn't change diff centres. I'm runnng 35" tyres. Original patrol tires were 31" If you make calculation 31"/35" = 4.1/4.625.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts