Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we mounted an RD28 engine from the GU (2000) to a GQ (1993). I left the original spark plugs and mounted a spark plug relay with a chip that can set it for 5.10, 15, 20, 25 seconds.
Now it is set for 10 seconds, then plugs are not supplied .. and the engine starts to go really bad, stop, smoke ... etc.
My question is, how long are the spark plugs on the Y61 with RD28 engine or in other words, how long can I feed them without the risk of burning.

·
Registered
Nissan
785 Posts
Spark plugs in a RD 28??????
That's a new one ….think I will use that hey...

Surely you mean glow plugs that are used for a cold start ???

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
The afterglow (see graph below) can last 300 seconds (5 minutes) depending on coolant temp.
Afterglow on GU RD28s is 11v.

After engine has started, current continues to flow through glow plug (after-glow mode) for a certain period
in relation to engine coolant temperature.
When engine speed exceeds 2,400 rpm, current flow through glow plug is interrupted.
The glow lamp turns ON for a certain period of time in relation to engine coolant temperature at the time glow
relay is turned ON.

Also note that genuine glow plugs are different from Bosch, Tridon and any other brand. Most go for these cheapies, but bear in mind they are all slower to glow, draw more current, and eventually burn out the glow relay.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The afterglow (see graph below) can last 300 seconds (5 minutes) depending on coolant temp.
Afterglow on GU RD28s is 11v.

After engine has started, current continues to flow through glow plug (after-glow mode) for a certain period
in relation to engine coolant temperature.
When engine speed exceeds 2,400 rpm, current flow through glow plug is interrupted.
The glow lamp turns ON for a certain period of time in relation to engine coolant temperature at the time glow
relay is turned ON.

Also note that genuine glow plugs are different from Bosch, Tridon and any other brand. Most go for these cheapies, but bear in mind they are all slower to glow, draw more current, and eventually burn out the glow relay.

View attachment 514323
thank you very nice! I will set the maintenance for a period of 2 minutes. Unfortunately I cannot correlate it with the engine temperature, but when it is the cold engine I protect it and I don't accelerate over 1500rpm ....
You helped me enormously!
I apologize for my English, I try to make myself understood but the technical terms are quite difficult to translate without advanced knowledge of English.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts