Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys doing the Simpson desert next year in my GQ Just wondering if anyone knows if it would be worth changing diff ratios for a bit more go, currently running 33x12.5s, have a 3 inch exhaust and will be top mount inter-cooling it and putting a high flow turbo on it in the near future,
thanks all help appreciated

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I’ve done the Simpson desert a couple of times now, so I can safely say that there’s nothing out there that warrants a diff ratio change. There’s a few steep,soft and boggy dunes - just lower your tyre pressures and use low range 2nd gear and you’ll do them easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
18,158 Posts
X2

RD28s have 4,625 diffs for a reason, changing that with 33s will give you less go, not more.

Tyre pressures are worth a thousand driveline mods on sand dunes 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve done the Simpson desert a couple of times now, so I can safely say that there’s nothing out there that warrants a diff ratio change. There’s a few steep,soft and boggy dunes - just lower your tyre pressures and use low range 2nd gear and you’ll do them easily.

No worries thank you, do you think it'll be right to drive the 12.5s through the sand? I've had a few people say it'll struggle

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
No worries thank you, do you think it'll be right to drive the 12.5s through the sand? I've had a few people say it'll struggle
No, I don’t think so. It’s not endless boggy sand, just on some but not all dunes. In between the dunes is generally hard ground. I realise you have the 2.8 as opposed to my 4.2, but I still don’t think you’ll have any trouble. Using low range will be way better than lower diff ratios. I used 3rd & 4th low most of the trip, and 2nd on the dunes where required. Only because I got sick of changing between high and low all the time. You won’t use much more fuel (if any) in low because the engine isn’t working as hard. You’ll find all the dunes really whooped out anyway, so you can’t go at them hard without bouncing yourself into next week, 2nd low is ideal for it. Drop your tyre pressures to around 18 psi, you can go lower if required. Enjoy the trip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts