Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been looking for threads or posts on RD28 GU intercooler. Preferably with some photos of how the RD28 GU top mounted intercooler looks.

In the process of replacing my ZD30 with a TD42 I am looking for a bigger intercooler.
One that can still fit on top (as I want to hide the engine as the modification is illegal as hell ;)) but is larger than the tiny ZD30 intercooler.
But still not bigger than the stock bonnet scoop.
We have measured the cooling area to be 31 x 26 cm (plus the top and bottom ends).
I was thinking that we might use a RD28 intercooler, but I cannot find anything on the dimensions of this. Is a larger than the ZD30 intercooler.

The neat thing is that IF we can use the RD28 intercooler. It is already mounted on a bracket which spans across the engine bay as far as I remember - We could reuse this.

Bottom line:
What is the size of the RD28 intercooler? Does anyone know of any photos on this forum of how it is mounted on a GU?

Thanks

Dane

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Have a look at Cross Country Intercoolers. They are bigger than OEM and have fan under them. They are a straight bolt on. The only thing you need to do is cut the rubber a bit.
hope this helps

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Not sure on measurements, but the 2.8 and 4.2 are the exact same intercooler - not sure if that helps you at alll.
The 2.8 has a temp sender on one end for the fan I think, not sure what tis for.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
the td hasnt got the fan cause of where the intake into the inlet manifold is. but as truckster said they are otherwise the same..... and tiny.

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Also check ASE. This is how it looks on my 2.8. Its a direct replacement, not a recore like Cross Country so I get to keep my OE intcooler as a spare. I haven't found a need for a fan as my engine temps can't get much lower at low speeds....also makes it easier to check the oil...
FYI, Cross Country is not a recore!
mine has fan and 50C temp switch
Pics below

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the input.

As I need to bracket the spans from the torpedo plate to the front for mounting, I will use a 2nd hand RD28 including bracket for a start and see how it goes. I THINK it is a little larger than the ZD30 intercooler so it has two advantages.

I like the Cross Country solution but I know that with transportation and customs, the price will be double up here in Denmark :-(

Cheers and again thanks for photos etc.

Dane

·
Registered
Nissan GQ
206 Posts
Hi,

I have been looking for threads or posts on RD28 GU intercooler. Preferably with some photos of how the RD28 GU top mounted intercooler looks.

In the process of replacing my ZD30 with a TD42 I am looking for a bigger intercooler.
One that can still fit on top (as I want to hide the engine as the modification is illegal as hell ;)) but is larger than the tiny ZD30 intercooler.
But still not bigger than the stock bonnet scoop.
We have measured the cooling area to be 31 x 26 cm (plus the top and bottom ends).
I was thinking that we might use a RD28 intercooler, but I cannot find anything on the dimensions of this. Is a larger than the ZD30 intercooler.

The neat thing is that IF we can use the RD28 intercooler. It is already mounted on a bracket which spans across the engine bay as far as I remember - We could reuse this.

Bottom line:
What is the size of the RD28 intercooler? Does anyone know of any photos on this forum of how it is mounted on a GU?

Thanks

Dane
What is the MOD? Your doing/done?

·
Registered
nissan
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with a RD28 i/c with original bracket - had to remove the blower at the bottom of the I/c as it doesn't fit but other than that plug n play. Dunno how effective it is sitting on top of the TD42 which puts out a lot of heat? Would probably go for a water to air solution on my 80-series when there is the cash to spend

·
Registered
nissan patrol
23 Posts
Hi mate, was the ASE intercooler or now HPD as they are known, a direct bolt-on fit or were modifications required?
Thanks mate, any help would be great, and yes I'm aware this post is from 2011 :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts