Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve found a min looking 97 2.8 Gq super clean but just sceptical on the engine but I’m not looking for towing or extreme four wheel drive tracks. But was leaning towards once it goes to replace it with a rebuilt td42, jsut wondering any of you guys have done this or know anyone and what the process was

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,068 Posts
If you're going to wait till it dies, you could be waiting a long time, looked after you should get 500k km out of it. Just give it regular servicing & most importantly, keep the cooling system in good nick, it's overheating that kills the heads on the 2.8.
Make sure the timing belt has been changed on that one you're looking at, they need to be done every 100k km or around 7 years maximum.
They're not the fastest vehicle around, but you could get a bit more performance by fitting a 2 3/4" exhaust & an intercooler. I think there are a few options for better turbos on the GQ too, as the mounting flange on the manifold is different to the GU & is a more common one. I'm sure if you search on the forum you could find the information. If you do any mods, fit a boost & EGT gauge to keep an eye on what's happening.
If you're not going to tow anything heavy, the 2.8 is fine.

Reactions: mer4wd and 45/70

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're going to wait till it dies, you could be waiting a long time, looked after you should get 500k km out of it. Just give it regular servicing & most importantly, keep the cooling system in good nick, it's overheating that kills the heads on the 2.8.
Make sure the timing belt has been changed on that one you're looking at, they need to be done every 100k km or around 7 years maximum.
They're not the fastest vehicle around, but you could get a bit more performance by fitting a 2 3/4" exhaust & an intercooler. I think there are a few options for better turbos on the GQ too, as the mounting flange on the manifold is different to the GU & is a more common one. I'm sure if you search on the forum you could find the information. If you do any mods, fit a boost & EGT gauge to keep an eye on what's happening.
If you're not going to tow anything heavy, the 2.8 is fine.
Yeah sweet just was feeling very sceptical about it hearing about the heads on em, thanks heaps for that made me feel a lot better about em. Longer the wait till it dies the better just wouldn’t mind a td42 but prices on fairly decent ones are too high

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,068 Posts
Given the number of 2.8s around, heads aren't a huge problem, besides, you could put a new head on every year for the next ten years & it would still be cheaper than buying a 4.2 or doing an engine swap.
Unless you want to do real hard core off roading on 35" tyres or tow heavy loads, the 2.8 will be fine. I've got a mate who had a GQ 2.8 tha't now got a 4.2, he reckons that apart from being able to tow his new 2.5T van, he preferred the 2.8 in many ways.

Reactions: 45/70

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,164 Posts
Welcome Noah..
I see in your other thread that the 2.8 only has 116,000 k on the clock...Just run in..Snap it up man.. And as Woollybugger said, zorst and intercooler and enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Noah..
I see in your other thread that the 2.8 only has 116,000 k on the clock...Just run in..Snap it up man.. And as Woollybugger said, zorst and intercooler and enjoy.
Yeah thing is in immaculate condition yet he’s asking for $25,000, feel like might be too pricey just considering the fact that it’s 20 years old, any opinions on pricing?

·
18,164 Posts
$25.000..:oops:..
Tell him he's dreaming..

Reactions: trev zd30

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,295 Posts
$25k for a 97 2.8 GQ? I don't see you getting a swap to a rebuilt 4.2 done for less than $10k, making total costs of at least $35k. That doesn't make sense to me when you can get a mint 10 year old common rail for that sort of money with dual airbags, antilock brakes, 4 speaker stereo, remote locking, auto etc, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$25k for a 97 2.8 GQ? I don't see you getting a swap to a rebuilt 4.2 done for less than $10k, making total costs of at least $35k. That doesn't make sense to me when you can get a mint 10 year old common rail for that sort of money with dual airbags, antilock brakes, 4 speaker stereo, remote locking, auto etc, etc.
A 3.0L? Idk heard a lot about the ZD30 dunno if I’d wanna spend the money on one

·
18,164 Posts
CRD's Patrols are as reliable as any other later model or brand on the market..
Will also be a power house compared to the 2.8..

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,295 Posts
A 3.0L? Idk heard a lot about the ZD30 dunno if I’d wanna spend the money on one
The early ZD30 DI engines were a problem but the ZD30 CRD engines are as good as any other modern 3 litre on the market. I have a 2000 GU TD42 turbo that cost me $25k eleven years ago and from what I'm told I could sell it today for more than $30k. If I was after a second hand Patrol today it would either be a GU CRD about 10 years old or a Y62 about 2 years old.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,068 Posts
Will also be a power house compared to the 2.8..
No it won't, my 2.8 GU with cheap chip & exhaust will leave a stock CRD for dead.
As for price on the GQ, if it's got good tyres, has all the services done (with records) & the timing belt's been changed recently, I think up to $12k would be tops. I'll probably be selling mine in a few months, it's got rear drawers, rear bar, sliders 63% reduction gears in the transfer, plus other stuff & I think I'll be pushing to get $15k for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No it won't, my 2.8 GU with cheap chip & exhaust will leave a stock CRD for dead.
As for price on the GQ, if it's got good tyres, has all the services done (with records) & the timing belt's been changed recently, I think up to $12k would be tops. I'll probably be selling mine in a few months, it's got rear drawers, rear bar, sliders 63% reduction gears in the transfer, plus other stuff & I think I'll be pushing to get $15k for it.
How many kms on yours?

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,068 Posts
How many kms on yours?
Will tick over 230k in a few weeks. Had new head, turbo, injectors etc at 225k km, busted a radiator & overheated it.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,068 Posts
Ask $18k. You might be surprised.
I've seen a couple without extras asking for $20k, but what they got for them is a different matter. Tempted to put it up for sale now, while Covid tax is still around, but I wont be in a position to replace it until next year.

·
Registered
GU RD28
123 Posts
Yeah, the 2.8 isnt bad if you're not in a rush. Done two Cape York trips in mine on 35" tyres. I tow the boat (old school ski boat) and can do 90kmh comfortably on the FWY. No chip in mine, just exhaust and top mount cooler and good maintenance. Doesn't like climbing hills or soft sand driving though.

·
Registered
GU1 and D21
7 Posts
I've seen a couple without extras asking for $20k, but what they got for them is a different matter. Tempted to put it up for sale now, while Covid tax is still around, but I wont be in a position to replace it until next year.
Yeah sweet just was feeling very sceptical about it hearing about the heads on em, thanks heaps for that made me feel a lot better about em. Longer the wait till it dies the better just wouldn’t mind a td42 but prices on fairly decent ones are too high
I have to jump in and defend the RD here...
As others have pointed out, the RD28 is a great little engine as long as you are realistic about what they're capable of. I have had mine since 2006, and it ran perfectly until 340,000 kms, when it spun the balancer. ( my fault for not replacing the keyway and bolt when doing a timing belt ... it would still have been going if not for that) Rebuilt the engine with new everything, balanced, blueprinted by a reputable engine builder and cost $7500. Try doing it for that price on most other diesels. They can be improved for modest power gains, not uncommon to see 100 rear wheel kilowatts and 320nm of torque from them with careful modifications. Much cheaper than a TD42 conversion and better fuel economy. Like 62wollybugger said, keep the cooling system clean. I have always used genuine Nissan coolant and when the original motor was pulled down, the cooling passages in the head were like new. Mine has never overheated, even towing a camper in 40 degree heat in Central Queensland in summer with the A C on.
So don't let people discourage you from owning one. If you can get that GQ for a sensible price, go for it. I'd offer half what he's asking $12,500 seems fair to me.
Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts