Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

RD28 to RB30 Sprigot issues

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  PatroleumDynamite 
#1 ·
Converting my RD28 to an RB30, i know that the blocks are the same and everything works fine.... the clutch will bolt straight on, and the engine mounts will be perfect. The only issue is once i got the RB30 home, realised the sprigot entry point to the RB30 is bigger than my RD28! Just wondering if there is another sort of plug or sleeve to insert..... anyone that has done this conversion!!!

#2 ·
Does the rb still have a spigot bush in it? I'd swap it for a new one anyway, costs nothing and you know its all good. I swapped my rd28 for an rb25det so may not be quite the same but I believe all the rb's are similar/same, but when I went to burson to get a new spigot bush it came up as the same part number for both. Got the old bush out with the grease and dowel trick and set the new one in place to recommended depth (tapping it with a small socket I think). My motor was an absolute b*tch to mate up though, I was convinced I had the wrong bush or that something was fouling after many hours of sweating and swearing at it. Ended up getting it in eventually with the help of a local mechanic acquaintance, turns out my missus' eye isn't as accurate as his was when lining it up! Good luck

#5 ·
A dyna bolt hey???? I've bought a bearing puller I'll give that a shot.
Bought the new clutch kit today for a cheap $270.00 waiting for the spigot
To come out so then I can install the clutch and such.... Few things the motor
Didn't come with like altenator and a few hard to reach heater hoses that
Are going give easier to install whilst the motor is still on the hoist.! I
Siphoned the diesel from the tank today.... The tank doesn't have a drain
Plug hole What the ****!!!!! I'll upload some photos through the process
To my profile. Cheers!

#11 ·
I ended up using the rb25 flywheel upon advice from others that the rd one is a bit heavy for the sort of revs the rb likes (it sure likes to rev!) and I seem to remember the spigot bush being tapped in to a certain depth past flush, positive not all the way though, that's how the grease trick worked as it gets behind it to apply the hydraulic force to push it out when you tap the dowel. I'll see if I can find where I read it/looked it up. As you may have already found out, depending on what lift/tyres you've got some engine hoists don't go high enough if you're using a load leveller! Mine didn't!

#12 ·
i just spent an hour and a half trying to remove my spigot bush.... that thing is giving me the ****ing ****s so i came inside before i broke something.....!
i tried forcing it out with grease a few times over.....didnt work... i used a 20mm dyna bolt thats a snug as fit, tightened it, used a chain and a slide hammer and the ****ing thing is still in there, it hasnt budged.......! my next option is to carefully drill it and use a cold chisel to weaken it.........:headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall:

#14 ·
Yeah it's frustrating, I didn't think it was going to work it was the first time I'd done it and it took me a few goes. The dowel or whatever you tap on has to be a snug fit inside the bush so the grease doesn't just squeeze out past it. I used/wasted heaps of grease just kept stuffing it in and removing the air by poking with a pinky finger till the whole cavity is completely full then tap and repack more grease. As long as the dowel is a tight enough fit it will definitely come out eventually. Best of luck

#16 ·
so had a crappy day at work and one of my work mates gave me a 20mm bolt to try....! i got home and packed it in with grease again.....! gave it a few hard hits and it started coming out..... packed it up with grease again, gave a few more hits and out it came...... i was soo happy! and amazed it worked better then using a slide hammer WTH????
I filmed it and uploaded it to my instagram! hahaha! now i can relive that bastard time many times over.

if anyone has instagram im Ricemeister217

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.