Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Ive had a look but cant really find any full information just bits here and there

I have a 1995 Nissan Laurel Factory RD28.

I am wanting to +T my car and I have the option to buy an "As Is" Type II Nissan Safari GQ Y60 RD28T engine.

It is the non intercooled type and has a pressure relief valve fitted to the manifold.

As it is on the other side of the country I figure I only need the associated turbo parts (save a **** load on shipping and I don't have any room for an engine)

Can some one please confirm with me that the parts I will be needing from the engine are

Turbo
Manifolds (intake/exhaust)
Fuel Pump
oil/water Banjo lines
Air piping
Vacuum lines
BOV

In order to make it work will I need other vacuum related parts such as the diaphram that is on the airbox ?
or should the turbo setup hook up to my existing setup.

Is someone able to please take a few photos of their rd28 vacuum lines and were they run to

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been talking to the guy and he reckons the turbo leaks oil due to it overboosting (He claims the wastegate wasnt opening) any opinions on this ?

I have experience putting together RB20/25det engines so understand all that, just not used to the vacuum side of turbo diesel (fuel compensators etc)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
It wont be over boosting too bad if it still has the stock pressure release valve (set to 15psi), stock they are set to around 7-9psi and stock turbo is good up until around 16psi.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
My FIl has a turbo diesel laurel, such a waste of a great looking car. My mate has a stroked rb26 in his laurel and it friggin cool. Ive only seen one other on Aussie roads but I want one BAD. They are about the only 4 door car worth having for me, that or a chaser.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahah what makes the turbo diesel laurel a waste ? They're pretty damn good on gas.

I did an s13- silvia rb20det conversion once.. was wicked but guzzled gas haha.

Rogue do you know if there is anyway to test that pressure relief valve, or is it basically a just a spring that gets pushed open ?

Does anyone have any experience on rebuilding the seals of M25 Garret Turbos ? Ive seen the seal rebuild packages on eBay for like $50

I presume to +T my rd is just like +T and nissan RB engine ? put on manifolds, connect exhaust, hook up vacuum lines and fit fuel pump and it should be driveable in a couple of hours ?

I have never seen an RD28t safari engine bay so Im unsure, would my factory NA airbox setup have the suitable valves for the turbo parts ?

·
Registered
nissan
184 Posts
Just do the complete engine conversion, as I would assume the injection pump on the factory turbo motor may be different, the same way that non turbo TD42s have a 10mm pump where as the factory GU turbos came with 11mm.

If not, all you need is exhaust manifold, turbo, dump pipe, intercooler / pipe to manifold, exhaust, water / oil lines. Cant fit a BOV to a turbo diesel as they have no throttle body.

If you fit all that stuff to your motor it will work, you may just need to have a play with the injector pump to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
Just do the complete engine conversion, as I would assume the injection pump on the factory turbo motor may be different, the same way that non turbo TD42s have a 10mm pump where as the factory GU turbos came with 11mm.

If not, all you need is exhaust manifold, turbo, dump pipe, intercooler / pipe to manifold, exhaust, water / oil lines. Cant fit a BOV to a turbo diesel as they have no throttle body.

If you fit all that stuff to your motor it will work, you may just need to have a play with the injector pump to get the most out of it.

Would help if you read what people have written.... He is gonna get the parts shipped to him, doesnt want to ship a whole motor.

Also the rd28t does have a factory blow off valve fitted to the intake manifold, if it over boosts up to 15psi it vents out the pressure. Check out a diesel gq service manual.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
hahah what makes the turbo diesel laurel a waste ? They're pretty damn good on gas.

I did an s13- silvia rb20det conversion once.. was wicked but guzzled gas haha.

Rogue do you know if there is anyway to test that pressure relief valve, or is it basically a just a spring that gets pushed open ?

Does anyone have any experience on rebuilding the seals of M25 Garret Turbos ? Ive seen the seal rebuild packages on eBay for like $50

I presume to +T my rd is just like +T and nissan RB engine ? put on manifolds, connect exhaust, hook up vacuum lines and fit fuel pump and it should be driveable in a couple of hours ?

I have never seen an RD28t safari engine bay so Im unsure, would my factory NA airbox setup have the suitable valves for the turbo parts ?

Ill take a couple pictures of my engine bay if you like make.

Should just be exhaust/intake manifolds, fuel pump, vacuum lines, turbo and exhaust. If you dont need to go through an inspection process for registration you could probably remove the EGR.

I havent pulled apart an rd28 but i think the fuel pump runs off the timing belt or something, not sure how hard it is to get them off but nothing a gq rd28 service manual shouldnt cover.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts