Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps. First I hope that those of you in affected areas are safe from those catastrophic fires.....

I'm assuming the very worst with my Patrol. Piston busted.

As you know or may not know, I'm a novice.

I'm asking if it would be possible for someone like me to attempt replacing a piston block, pistons, etc.

No way I can attempt this now, way too cold.
I'm sure some of you have done this.
Can it be done with Engine in place, tools?

Many thanks, keep safe.
Best
馃嵑

Registered
nissan
Hi peeps. First I hope that those of you in affected areas are safe from those catastrophic fires.....

I'm assuming the very worst with my Patrol. Piston busted.

As you know or may not know, I'm a novice.

I'm asking if it would be possible for someone like me to attempt replacing a piston block, pistons, etc.

No way I can attempt this now, way too cold.
I'm sure some of you have done this.
Can it be done with Engine in place, tools?

Many thanks, keep safe.
Best
馃嵑
Hi again ChipFryer,
Firstly, you need to determine why you may have a damaged piston.
The piston crowns are cooled with oil from squirters. I notice you said things got bad going up a hill - this is when the pistons are at their hottest.
If the pistons receive inadequate oil from the squirters, they will overheat and possibly grab in the bore and separate.
For some time now you have had oil pressure issues which have not been addressed. I expressed my concern some time back as to your situation.
Without adequate oil pressure, your engine will experience catastrophic failure.
If my original suspicions are correct (ie a plug has come out of the crank oil gallery) then, no, the engine will need to be removed.
The crank will need to be inspected, possibly machined but definitely grub-screwed. The oil pump drive will also need to be inspected.
As for the rest of the engine, only a complete overhall will determine what work is required.
I suggest with limited mechanical knowledge you don't do the rebuild. Its not easy and requires special tools and knowledge.
Consider your options regarding rebuild or second-hand replacement engine.

Just for future reference, note that having the vehicle serviced does not resolve major issues such as low oil pressure. If the oil light flickers or is slow to go out - this is a major sign there is a problem which needs rectifying IMMEDIATELY. Yes, it may have been a dodgy oil pressure sender, but you need to have checked that straight away. You can't continue to drive the vehicle with this happening.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian, yes my bad, but this was also based on bad advice over here.

Quite literally, because I heard it from a local guy. People are prejudiced towards me, thinking I'm the super rich European.

I'd asked for an oil compression test, all was ok. It's the sender.
I posted the part I bought on here and asked if this was the right part for an RD28.
No one replied to that.

In any case, aside from my stupidity, I live in a world where truth simply doesn't exist.
This is why I came here, to find the truth, base that on what I hear.

They are never the same.

In any case, I still think the pump works. The problem you posted looks horrid. Both issues then require engine out and re-build.

IF, IF, IF. Anyone will do it properly.

Of course given the above and the fact I'll get the EURO price because I'm apparently rolling in it. I'll study options which aren't many here.

Fact is I think this Brexit thing is having an impact on me here. Many folks from here work in the UK.
If things go bad there for them, it will surely rebound on me, the rich guy 馃槧

Best, thank you for taking the time.
馃嵑

Hi again ChipFryer,
Firstly, you need to determine why you may have a damaged piston.
The piston crowns are cooled with oil from squirters. I notice you said things got bad going up a hill - this is when the pistons are at their hottest.
If the pistons receive inadequate oil from the squirters, they will overheat and possibly grab in the bore and separate.
For some time now you have had oil pressure issues which have not been addressed. I expressed my concern some time back as to your situation.
Without adequate oil pressure, your engine will experience catastrophic failure.
If my original suspicions are correct (ie a plug has come out of the crank oil gallery) then, no, the engine will need to be removed.
The crank will need to be inspected, possibly machined but definitely grub-screwed. The oil pump drive will also need to be inspected.
As for the rest of the engine, only a complete overhall will determine what work is required.
I suggest with limited mechanical knowledge you don't do the rebuild. Its not easy and requires special tools and knowledge.
Consider your options regarding rebuild or second-hand replacement engine.

Just for future reference, note that having the vehicle serviced does not resolve major issues such as low oil pressure. If the oil light flickers or is slow to go out - this is a major sign there is a problem which needs rectifying IMMEDIATELY. Yes, it may have been a dodgy oil pressure sender, but you need to have checked that straight away. You can't continue to drive the vehicle with this happening.

Registered
nissan
Im not sure which country you are in, sorry, but are Jap imports an option for you?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
No mate. Even when they took the oil filter out, they "said" it had Japan on it. They "said" they couldn't get that original part here.

Probably the only truth I've heard.

Pinch of salt with people here.
Not just my bus, there's a history of it towards me.

This borders on prejudice jealousy in some ways.
Anywho, thanks for the advice.
I'll get her started, bring her in, think a LOT.

Bit miffed, well a lot. Can you believe when I got stuck in the middle of nowhere he actually laughed at me?

I'm making a lot of life changing decisions now.

Many thanks mate.
馃嵑

Registered
nissan
Im sorry things aren't working out so well, and hope better things are in store for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
We'll see Brian. Change comes from within normally. I'll get something sorted, or I will not.

But thank you very much!

The info you supplied may save a lot of headaches for others.
Best 馃嵑

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the canic came good. He sent his mate this morning to collect my bus.

Now it's the waiting room scenario.
馃嵑

1 - 8 of 8 Posts