Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its new turbo time for the gu rd28 , will have a gq manifold with the t25/28 mount , tossing up between the Garret gt2056 journal turbo or the Gt2860 (disco potato) (larger then 2056) ball bearing . UFI have advised the gt2056 for lower down power , which is what i want , they say the 2860 will have nothing down low and alot of lag. whats everyones thoughts

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have steinbauer chip , im aware uni chip is that way to go , but i dont see 2.5k going towards a chip for a while , i called UFI today and thats the one he recommended , not sure if its replaced the 2554, im under the understanding that the last 2 numbers (56) is the exhaust wheel size in mm , is the first numbers the compressor wheel ?

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
The Steinbauer has sufficient capability to adjust fuel and timing?

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steinbauer doesn't actually change timing it says it adds pulse width to the timing signal before it gets to ecu , I'm not going for massive gains just some down low , , so the 2056 and 2554 have similar compressor wheel sizes , but different turbine wheels and frame sizes , what's that mean in terms of power and at which points on rpm scale

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the benifit with smaller exhaust wheel but around same size compressor wheel? Spooling quick is definitely what I want , I no the stock is a gy1752 or something , what's it going to be like over stock? Much different?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
479 Posts
Id probably go with what ufi recommended for the low down torque, and to recover some lost mid range maybe run a little higher boost and a larger intercooler to take the edge off the extra heat it will make.

But a pretty good all round turbo would be a 2554 in my opinion, not sure if they are going to make a gtx model of it but it would be even better again.

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh right , isn't the 2554 ball bearing , I have been adviced the diesel oil will just kill the bearing turbos heaps quickly ? The 2554 sounds good , I want low to mid range , but the 2056 sounds good aswell but i feel as though it might be to small like ill do the upgrade and still want more ?

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have just been told that the 2056 is vnt, and I don't wanna go re vnt path , so maybe the 2554 is the best bet ? Even no ball bearing

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
its a load of crap. Ive used BB turbo's on diesels for 10 years and although there has been failures on the odd occasion. None of them have been because it was on a diesel.

Bad servicing schedules, really poor quality oils, contamination of incoming air, overspeeding the shaft and bearings are all common reasons for turbo failures.

The only difference is the BB turbo will have better transient response. Getting on and off the throttle it will ramp into boost noticably quicker.
The point that it hits full boost will be a tiny bit earlier with the BB setup, but if it ever needs a rebuild you basically just put a new core in.
Where as with a journal bearing turbo it can be reconditioned quite cheaply generally.

·
Registered
nissan
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh true , so you think the 2554 would be the go ? Have you drivin an rd with the 2554 fitted ? How was it

1 - 20 of 50 Posts