Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if anyone knows and had photos of how to install the donator speed box on a gu RD28t. There’s other forms but all pictures have been removed and there hard to follow

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,951 Posts
Sorry about that but due to a couple of issues many years ago pics that were stored on certain 3rd party sites were lost and if the OP didn't replace them they were gone. Have recently deleted a few threads mentioned by members where pics were gone and they made no sense.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
279 Posts
what chip do you have? if its got plugs then its plug and play or if it just has bare wire then I can guide you through the install.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A. Plug and Play chip with grey plugs:
Unplug the 8 pin grey plug from the injector pump and plug into these plugs.

B. If you have bare 4 wires: Red and black are the +ve and -ve, the other 2 wires are the control wires.
1. Connect +ve to a power source that comes on when the engine is turned on. -ve is obvious - connect to any earth point.
2. When you unplug the 8 pin grey plug, have a look inside and you will see it has 4 pins down one side and 2 or 3 pins down the other side.
3. You need to isolate the wires that connect to the middle 2 pins on the side where there is 4 pins in the plug. connect each of these wires to on e each of the 2 wires from the power chip.
4. Orientation of the 2 wires from the power chip is not important as it will work either way they are connected.

C. If you have bare 2 wires: 2 control wires.
1. same as above (part B.2-4) but without separate power connections.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Font Cameras & optics Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,697 Posts
If it's the one without the plug, I've got the original instructions somewhere, that I could dig out if you need them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s the one with bare wire. Positive and negative wires plus two control ones. I kind of have an idea of what to do just better to understand with pictures. This might sound stupid but do I have to tap the control wire in the plug or just into the correct wires on either side of the plug

·
Registered
279 Posts
It’s the one with bare wire. Positive and negative wires plus two control ones. I kind of have an idea of what to do just better to understand with pictures. This might sound stupid but do I have to tap the control wire in the plug or just into the correct wires on either side of the plug
Just tap the control wires into the wires that go to the plug on the harness side not the injector pump side. Just don't use these crappy cheap cable lock connectors. Gently strip a section of the wire and solder the control wires on. Then tape them with good quality electrical tape.

This is the actual instructions I got back in 2014 when I first got a donator speedbox.

Product Circuit component Line Red Rectangle

On my old patrol when I had to do this I extended the wires and put the control box inside the cab under the dash on the center console side.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,697 Posts
I didn't use those Scotch Lock connectors, as they can cause too many problems. I removed the insulation from the wires & soldered the connections, then sealed with liquid electrical tape. I also ran the power wire through a switch on the dash, so I can turn it off if I want. It raises the idle speed a bit, so I used to turn it off on steep downhill tracks, though don't need to anymore since fitting reduction gears.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can anyone tell me exactly which wires I tap into View attachment 544514
Read steps 2 and 3 in my previous post.

B. If you have bare 4 wires: Red and black are the +ve and -ve, the other 2 wires are the control wires.
1. Connect +ve to a power source that comes on when the engine is turned on. -ve is obvious - connect to any earth point.
2. When you unplug the 8 pin grey plug, have a look inside and you will see it has 4 pins down one side and 2 or 3 pins down the other side.
3. You need to isolate the wires that connect to the middle 2 pins on the side where there is 4 pins in the plug. connect each of these wires to on e each of the 2 wires from the power chip.
4. Orientation of the 2 wires from the power chip is not important as it will work either way they are connected.

View attachment 544453

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,697 Posts
Only way to adjust boost is with a boost control T in the hose going to the wastegate actuator. If you're interested, I have a spare Turbosmart one I'll sell for $50 posted.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some useful info: when you install a chip it increases fueling to give more power. The problem with more power/fuel is the engine can run hotter. When you increase fuel you need more air (boost) to help burn the fuel properly. Installing a manual boost controller and running higher boost than standard increases fueling as well. For a factory GU RD28 the max boost for efficiency is about 16psi.

So you should install 3 types of gauges:
1. Pyrometer (exhaust gas Temp),
2. Boost,
3. Water temp - the dash water temp gauge is not accurate and by the time you see it at hot it's too late.

Reactions: 62woollybugger
1 - 15 of 15 Posts