Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, sorry for once again having another rd28 question... but after lots of advice i still cant decide whether to fix my current head (get a new one), get a completely different engine (RD) or convert to the td42. id appreciate any advice as im new to the 4x4 scene.
cheers. :confused:

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Welcome aboard Jacob

You live in the right place to be a Patrol owner :) Keep an eye out for SEQ day trips and weekends, going out with forum members is a great way to get to know your vehicles capabilities, and you'll get a heap of good info on driving techniques too.

I don't know much about 2.8s but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some good advice.

·
Registered
Nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking foward to it squalo!
Went along to the seq winter invasion at lcmp last year and that's what made me think, yep... I want a gq :)

Cheers

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
That was a good meet... the last hit-out for my GU before I wrote it off.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
What issue do you have with the head, I did a head in mine in January fully rebuilt with new valves new seals and lifters and machined face total cost came to just over $1200 with most of the labour done myself. Have since now converted to a TD42 as I had more troubles with the rd28.

·
Registered
Nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it has been diagnosed with a cracked head, no water in oil no oil in water, bubbles coming from radiator at idle, and coolant from exhaust when running warm.
was it a new head or did you just get the previous one machined ?
cheers

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
88 Posts
Hey mate, i had the exact same problems with my RD28! havent had any luck with it over the 3 years ive owned it, i had to replace the turbo, my exhaust is completely stuffed, my glow plugs have issues so its hard to start, i had a new head done which cost me $3000. its been in my shed for like the past 8 months so i decided to throw in an RB30 Petrol from a skyline! bolts straight up to the gearbox.! im in the process of installing it now!!!!!! if i were you i would get rid of the RD28, either do a TD42 conversion, or go petrol and put the RB30 in. or fix the head and sell the complete car and save for a TD42, which are quiete pricey for a good one!

·
Registered
Nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea petroleum dynamite I've been researching a lot I mean A LOT about throwing in a rb25det but then I realised that 1. Since I'm a p plater I can't drive a turboed petrol and 2. P platers apparently aren't allowed to drive cars that have been converted unless it's a factory option ..
So there's another option, rb30
Cheers mate

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
If it helps at all I have a good GQ RD28 complete head that I need to get rid of on bris nthside

1 - 10 of 10 Posts