Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all new to the forum ...
i am about to embark on a rb25det convertion in to my 97 gq 2.8 dt ...
wanted to strat a tread to help others and for me to get help as well !
so far complete motor with ecu and harness makeing 300+ hp is on its way ...
and currentlly chasing the other bits and pieces but will be able to make a start befor i get them sorted ....

i will keep this updated from start to finish as i can as i work away

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
If you need any info let me know I have done the conversion myself its pretty straight forward but there are a few things that you need to know. But I am guessing you have already done some research into it.
Here is a link to my build thread. ttp://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-nissan-patrols-19/finally-bought-my-gq-60938/ch

Disregard any info about the flywheel and starter motor that was posted in it as it didn't work and I am now just running the RB25 flywheel, clutch and starter motor.

It shouldnt take to long to do, if you have everything ready to go it can be done in a weekend,

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers skytrol did try to post in another thread to take the offer of your number just incase i get stuck
the motor i bought is auto .... can i use the rd28t fly wheel ?

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
No the rd28 starter motor will not work as the solinoid is in the wrong position and it fouls on the plenum. If your engine is from an auto car the ecu will be as well. I can pm you my number or there is a link to my website in my signature my phone number is on that.

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
No you cannot use the 2 together unless you can get the ring gear from the rb flywheel onto the rd flywheel as the teeth on the 2 are different.

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ecu that i am getting is an aftermarket one and should be fine ...as for the flywheel i will track one down ... thoughts on clutch set up .... will stock be ok or with the exrta weight/load maybe a heavy duty one ....but was also thinking that i maybe able to use my existing hd from the rd28....also i will have to add / change the spicket bush ....

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
Nothing has to be done to the gearbox the engine bolts straight to it. If you use an rb30 flywheel you will need a matching starter motor.

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
I would go a heavy duty clutch

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Nothing has to be done to the gearbox the engine bolts straight to it. If you use an rb30 flywheel you will need a matching starter motor.
Is this the case with an rb30 (sorry to hijack). Will the rd28 gearbox bolt directly to it? So confusing after reading it will/it won't. I need a definitive answer as I am always scouring the net looking for an rb30 gearbox to buy as a spare due to rarity. If the rd28 box bolts up then I can stop stressing.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Yes rb30 is the same will bolt to gearbox
Sweet. I was going to get a gearbox shipped from QLD down here (VIC) at double the price of the gearbox because I thought the rd28 box wouldn't fit the rb30. Heaps of wreckers have the rd28 box ready to go.

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
Rd28 box will bolt straight to it.

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
i am in qld ....mod plate is pretty straight forward ..due to the fact the rb25det bolts in with not much dramma only need to mod the fuel change from diesel to pertol cost approx $330

1 - 20 of 177 Posts