Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have a small vibration underload between 80 - 100klm so decided to grease the tailshaft which was in desperate need. the old grease smelt burnt. Question 1 is proberly stupid but should the rear diff get extremely hot? I am going to change the oil next friday in the diff as it does have a small vibration when i turn right a low speed underload.

Also today I had a wobble in the steering wheel under hard breaking. so I checked the wheel bearings. Question 2 is, are you suppose to have approx 1-2mm movement in the top and bottom push and pull? It had that movement in both front wheels.

I'm also going to change the gear box fluid next friday, so I went to pull the side bung out to check if it has auto fluid or gearbox fluid in it and I could not undo the plug. Can someone confirm if it is a clockwise or anti-clockwise thread. I don't want to force it the wrong way.

thanks
Troy

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Quote. Question 1 should the rear diff get extremely hot? YES they can exceed 200=deg when under heavy load, but what do you call hot?
I am going to change the oil next friday in the diff as it does have a small vibration when i turn right a low speed underload. Put the correct LSD oil in, eg (CASTROL LSX 90 or LSX 85W/140) and the LSD vibration should go away.

Question 2 is, are you suppose to have approx 1-2mm movement in the top and bottom push and pull? It had that movement in both front wheels. Only if there is no adjustment with the adjustable locking washer, try to adjust them slightly to remove excess movement, ensuring that they are not over tightened.

Can someone confirm if it is a clockwise or anti-clockwise thread. I don't want to force it the wrong way. As per what Benno said, its a right hand thread (clockwise) and get the 13mm tool that he is refering to, stops wear on the plug when removing it.

thanks
Troy[/QUOTE]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts