1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: (GU) Suspension body lift vs bigger coils

Hey guys,

I did a search regarding what is involved with a 2" GU body lift and how it looks, and didn't find much, obviously just need the bolts and blocks, for the lift, but how much would I have to change when I put on a body lift. Does the side steps, and stock (plastic) rear bar come up with it?.. I know I'll have to mod my current tube bar.
Does anyone have pictures of how a 2" body lift looks with around 2"/3" suspension lift.

And also, since I already have a 3" lift, adding a 2" body lift wont affect me needing new panhard rods and the likes right?

I currently have 2" lift in front 3" in rear (was done when I bought it)

I am looking at bringing up the gas tank for a bit of safety on the back because this weekend I smashed off the bash plate on it. Would getting a body lift bring this up, and would it be better doing that and getting a 3" or a 4" lift with 2" body than getting a 5" suspension lift?..

TL: DR is:
Want pics of 2" body in a GU
Do I just need blocks for a body lift?

Cheers guys/gals.

·
Registered
nissan
1,356 Posts
Hey guys,

I did a search regarding what is involved with a 2" GU body lift and how it looks, and didn't find much, obviously just need the bolts and blocks, for the lift, but how much would I have to change when I put on a body lift. Does the side steps, and stock (plastic) rear bar come up with it?.. I know I'll have to mod my current tube bar.
Does anyone have pictures of how a 2" body lift looks with around 2"/3" suspension lift.

And also, since I already have a 3" lift, adding a 2" body lift wont affect me needing new panhard rods and the likes right?

I currently have 2" lift in front 3" in rear (was done when I bought it)

I am looking at bringing up the gas tank for a bit of safety on the back because this weekend I smashed off the bash plate on it. Would getting a body lift bring this up, and would it be better doing that and getting a 3" or a 4" lift with 2" body than getting a 5" suspension lift?..

TL: DR is:
Want pics of 2" body in a GU
Do I just need blocks for a body lift?

Cheers guys/gals.
I did it on a manual wagon series 4. I got the kit off Zordo in the vendors section which I think was about $350 which was a good quality kit, the instructions weren't excellent but they did the job. I think you might be better off getting a kit as apparently the GU bolts are a funny size (thread pitch and length) and hard to find at nut and bolt shops, i could be wrong though.

On mine the only things I had to change were: Radiator shroud, all I did was pull the bottom 50mm piece off worked a treat. Handbrake cable was pulled a bit too tight so I redrilled the mount to move it up a bit higher. Fuel filler pipes, I just loosened the clamps too get a bit more length on them. And you'll probably want to lengthen your fuel lines up to the filter. The rear bar is separate to the body but mine is a 1 piece bar being a series 4 whereas yours being an older model will probably be a three piece bar, all i did to mine was get the mounts cut in half and raised 50 mm by an engineering mob but i dont know what you would have to do with the different style rear bar.

I would make sure you get it approved before you go ahead and do it otherwise it will be illegal. the process is as follows:

Get the appropriate form from the transport dept. and apply in writing stating what materials what size blocks what there made out of etc etc. Then you send it off to them, you should get the letter back within 2 weeks stating whether they approve or not.

Then you do the bodylift and have to book a time with them so they can inspect it (there fuggin slow too don't be surprised if you have to wait a month or two).

Then when the time comes you get it inspected over the pits where they go over the whole vehicle so if its not roadworthy you wont pass, they do everything from brake tests including handbrake to the plates that twist your wheels around to check all your bushes.

If you pass you get a stamped letter of approval to keep with you in the vehicle at all times. Its quite a lengthy process but at least you don't have to worry about getting done and having to pull your bodylift back out again.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression I wouldnt have to go over pits with 50mm blocks?

Can you upload a pic or 2 of your car's height please patrol28.. Since you have 2" + 3"?

·
Registered
nissan
1,356 Posts
I was under the impression I wouldnt have to go over pits with 50mm blocks?

Can you upload a pic or 2 of your car's height please patrol28.. Since you have 2" + 3"?
Yeah it has to be inspected over the pits and you have to have that letter of approval before they will even think about going over your car. I'll have a look for some pics but I don't think I have any of it with body lift

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I put coil spacers in to make my current lift to a 4" I need to get extended arms and stuff aswell right?.. So I might aswell get 4" suspension lift instead of putting another 2" or 1" on top of the current set up?

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
2' Suspension lift & 2" body lift is completely legal in QLD. where as 4" is not legal.
I know there are a lot of 4/5/6" lifted patrols around but it is only a matter of time before they are defected.
I you were to fit coil spacer to your exsisting lift you would need longer shocks & longer rear arms, brakeline as well not to memtion adjustable panhards etc.
You could spend all that money & be defected some time later. :headwall:

If you want to get the gas tank up fit a body lift & then redo the gas tank mounts to raise the gas tank into the cavity left by thr bodylift.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want to get the gas tank up fit a body lift & then redo the gas tank mounts to raise the gas tank into the cavity left by thr bodylift.
Cheers
Thanks for that, was planning that would be the easiest way. and much cheaper than putting all the money into a 4", if I was to put 1" coil spacers in my front end, currently I have 2" coils in would I need to do anymore mods, as it is still under 4"?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Body lifts are very cheap but when your body mounts start cracking from the extra stress they turn out to be rather expensive to fix. Most comp trucks don't run body lifts for reason.

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Body lifts are very cheap but when your body mounts start cracking from the extra stress they turn out to be rather expensive to fix. Most comp trucks don't run body lifts for reason.
Although this arguement has been done many times can you tell me why putting 2 inch body lift in adds so much more stress onto the body mounts? The only way it would was if the body rested on a crossmember or similar and installing a body lift cleared this. Most comp trucks that dont run body lifts do it because it raises COG and it is alot easier to cut/hammer a guard to make real tyres fit.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Although this arguement has been done many times can you tell me why putting 2 inch body lift in adds so much more stress onto the body mounts?
If you do a body lift you WILL stand a far greater likelihood of causing body mounts cracking basically due to the extra momentum and extra leverage given to any vibrations from corrugations etc, and the bigger the lift, the greater the leverage and the potential for failure.
My two inch body lift failed 1/4 the way up the cape, two body mounts ripped clean out on bloody corrigations.
When I tried to get body mounts fixed no one wanted to fix it and they said that normal with body lifts and they said if the body lift stayed in its only matter of time when the other mounts went. I never fitted the body lift it was fitted by a big 4x4 store that has been around for long time. In the end I found some one to fix it and they would only fix with NO guarantee due to the body lift! I had modified all my bar work for the body lift so taking it out was going to be to hard, so I just sold it.
Now I only lift the suspesion.

Frankenyota said:
Just bought an 85 xtra cab hilux that has a 2" body lift, and where the body lift mounts to the cab it has cracked the cab.
I would like to know the best way of repairing this.
Should i just reweld the cracks up, or add some metal to support the area?
crankycruiser said:
my bodymounts cracked on my 80. so i welded a piece of 50x6 flat under under the original mounts and then shortened the body blocks by 6mm. worked well. sucker wont crack now.

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
Same old arguement somebody has a crap bodylift done & therefore all bodylifts are crap.
Every patrol i have seen with cracked floors had 50mm or 60mm blocks.

There is a right way to do a body lift & there is a wrong way to do a bodylift.
Do it the wrong way & suffer the concequences.

Most of the stuff on ebay is junk [ wrong blocks & wrong bolts]
quite a few years ago a winch challenge patrol fitted one of my bodylifts & did 4years of competion including 3 outback challenges. That patrol has now changed hands & still has no cracked floors.

·
Registered
nissan
1,087 Posts
Thanks for that, was planning that would be the easiest way. and much cheaper than putting all the money into a 4", if I was to put 1" coil spacers in my front end, currently I have 2" coils in would I need to do anymore mods, as it is still under 4"?
If you were to put a 30mm coil spacer in the front the only problem would be a lack of down travel of due to the front shock
Cheers
Same on the rear

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
177 Posts
have you checked will insurance, and do you have airbags.

i was told in Vic if you were to fit body lift to a car with airbags it is illegal, hope iy different for you in Qld

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just a quick thought, my mate put a 2" body lift in his GQ shorty, which already had 3" coils in it, why didnt he have to extend anything?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,100 Posts
Just a quick thought, my mate put a 2" lift in his GQ shorty, which already had 3" coils in it, why didnt he have to extend anything?

Ummmmm, Cos it was an inch shorter???????

He may not changed anything, (barr shorter springs) but the suspension would have the same travel. Only risk is a coil dropping out.

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
I am just about to put in a 2" body lift tomorrow i have bought the kit from Marks 4WD will be welding in 70mm steel washers to the floor to prevent them cracking. There is an article on Marks4wd.com about the issues they experienced when bodylifting a bunderra and this seems to be the solution. Ill let you know how i go haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts