Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: leaking front axel seal, again and again!!

I am going to replace the seals for the 3th time, this time I do the lot, king pins etc.
Although last time I checked them (50k's ago) they were still perfect.
But I just wonder why the front diff takes so much oil, if I remember correctly over 5 litre, whereas the rear takes much less.
If I was to halve the amount of oil, it would probably not come up to the inner axels and still provide adequate lubrication.
After all the front diff only needs lubricating when in 4wd.
What do you think??

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Did you check the spindle bearing in the stub axle?

Have you cheked the diff breather?

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course last time I replaced them, I checked all that.
But since I am far from the only one having this problem, I am wondering If I can just reduce the oil level.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,158 Posts
I don't think so. Your spindle bearings and axel seals need lubrication. The rear axel assembly is different to the front.

I would be using good quality seals for a start, and take great care when installing the axel. Also if something is bent then that might account for premature wear.

·
Registered
Nissan GU
17 Posts
Hi 4wheeler,
I had a simular issue on my Passenger side. I checked the axel and seal surface and the seal looked fine the axel had 2 small shiney (Polished) spots where the seal contacted. I purchased a different brand of seal.
When I fitted it i made sure the seal ran on a fresh part of the axle although touching the "Polished surface" it has fixed the issue.
I also purchased a 33mm speedy sleave if that didnt work. The speedy sleave is tricky to fit as it needs to be pressed on or tapped on. I went to the hardware and found some PVC fittings that fit the sleave and laso went over the axle (with a little die grinding) and a lenght of 50mm PVC pipe (As Mine was the passanger side the long Axle) im sure it would have worked if I needed to fit it.
Speedy sleave fitting may also require a small amount of 2 part adhesive to attatch to the axle and hold it inplace as it heats up during normal driving.
As suggested by my bearing guy.

But definatly dont reduce the oil amount as that is not the issue, The leaking seal is.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42ti
92 Posts
Eucla69
You shouldn't need adhesive to hold the speedy sleave on in certain situations yes you may do which I wont go into but the axle no. The speedy sleeve has whats called a shark tooth at one end to grip and its also the sleeve is a interference fit as well.
The only time I have used devcon or jb weld with speedy sleaves is to fill the groove that seal has done to the axle.
So with the groove filled the pressure the seal lip puts on the sleave it doen't get deformed and pushed in. With out the goove filled the seal lip will push the speedy sleeve into the groove and will start leaking again.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,184 Posts
Have you had the diff centre out ? it's crucial to use a factory thickness gasket,not

just goo to seal the diff on installation,

Cheers,G,

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
The increased oil volume is to ensure pinion bearing lubrication, the front diff has a high pinion diff, and the rear diff has a lower pinion, therefore the front needs a much higher oil level. Don't reduce this as it'll cause issues elsewhere, to get the oil level below the inner axles seals you need to cut the oil volume to about 1 litre haha.

I've fitted shltloads of diff centres with gasket goo all good no worries at all.

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi SNAFU, no there are no grooves on the inner axle and yes, I had the diff centre out to install a locker, I think I used goo to seal, so maybe that's the problem.
Thanks Grumpyone.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
55 Posts
I've had my seals replace twice and it still leaks all over the place. Sometime worse than before it went into get fixed. I do have some play in my front diff and my car has been in an accident before I bought it so I might have a bent axle.

I think the only way forward for me is to get a replacement front assembly and throw my one out.

·
Registered
nissan
141 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to my hilux for ever changing seals. So i got the mechanic to put the axles on a lathe and sure enough they were not straight and need some trimming. No problems from then on.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I would also suggest using genuine seals - not a whole lot dearer and by the time you pull a non genuine seal out coz it's leaking you'd wish you'd gone genuine.

Don't ask me how I know :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts