Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gq
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new door skin the other day from Nissan. Wanting to know if anyone has re-skinned their door before and if so how hard a job is it or would I be better off paying the pannel beaters $200 to do it for me?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,137 Posts
Hi Mate, I have done a few but never used a spot welder. I start by grinding off the old skin right on the edge of the door, then the bit that is left I use an old tyre lever ground down on one side to almost paper thin and tap that around with hammer on the door edge to get the rolled over bit off.
Then clean up door with flap disc, then with a dolly and hammer start tapping rolled edge of new door skin to about 45 deg.(on door shell) then use the body adhesive ( like stikaflex ) around edge and finish tapping the edge of skin till nearly flat. Most important to leave a slight gap around rolled edge so glue can do its job. Dont do just one side work all sides at the same time and take it slow.

OR, TAKE IT TO A CRASH SHOP.

cheers.

Shane.

·
Registered
nissan
3,002 Posts
You can drill a small hole in the rolled section and weld it instead of using a spot welder. Use a sealant either way. If you are patient and have an eye for detail then I'd say have a go. You'll know pretty fast if you can or can't do it. If you look on the inside of your door you'll see where the spot welds are. Grind them off and carefully work the rolled edge until you can get the old skin off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
take it to a beater, there is so many things you could f up or miss completly. cooper spray around the inside, sicaflex on the intrusion bar, damage it tryn to get it on ect ect.. save the long term hassel just incase

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
Why didn't you just buy the whole door?

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
1,898 Posts
I purchased a new door skin the other day from Nissan. Wanting to know if anyone has re-skinned their door before and if so how hard a job is it or would I be better off paying the pannel beaters $200 to do it for me?
Take it to a panel shop because if you don't know what your doing you will stuff it up for sure.

Just for you to buy weld threw primer, sealer, primer etc would put you over the $200 to fit it plus most modern panel shops have a mechancial hammer/folder which folds the skin to save you having to file around all the edges which file finishing is an art on it's own.

Did someone actually quote you $200 or where you just guessing as I couldn't imagine that even being primed for that price.:confused:

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
nissan
3,002 Posts
Here is a link to a write up on door skin removal on a zed forum. I know its not the same door but the technique is the same. Just a different shape. Anyway, enjoy.

Tutorial: Door Skin Removal for Dummies.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,009 Posts
Deffinately get someone with experience to do it.

I am a beater by trade and i can tell you that even with an experienced tradesman talking you through every step, everyone F*cks their first one up in some way or another. (anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar) It seems really simple but once you try it you will find there are so many variables.

if you are going to try it yourself just make sure you take your time and dont skip any stage of the prep. if you rush it you'll end up with dints all over the edges. and DONT let the dolly rest flat against the skin at ANY TIME!!! if you do try i wish you the best of luck though, who knows you may prove the exception to the rule.

when you think of the time you'll save, guaranteed against rust, and hopefully a great finish $200 really aint that much.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
132 Posts
take it to a beater dude! dont even bother trying it, its not worth the headaches! ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
6,069 Posts
I am a beater by trade and i can tell you that even with an experienced tradesman talking you through every step, everyone F*cks their first one up in some way or another. (anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar) It seems really simple but once you try it you will find there are so many variables.
I agree totally! Did a half door skin on an XW Falcon (20 years ago) and I totally stuffed it up.

What tends to happen is you loose the tension and the door skin just buckles in and out like tin foil. Or it looks ok but you put the tiniest amount of pressure on it and it falls in you then pop it out just as easy. At that point the door may go flying across the workshop.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
98 Posts
Deffinately get someone with experience to do it.

if you are going to try it yourself just make sure you take your time and dont skip any stage of the prep. if you rush it you'll end up with dints all over the edges. and DONT let the dolly rest flat against the skin at ANY TIME!!! if you do try i wish you the best of luck though, who knows you may prove the exception to the rule.

when you think of the time you'll save, guaranteed against rust, and hopefully a great finish $200 really aint that much.

Cheers
X2

I am also a beater by trade
There is more to a door skin then you would think like getting your door gaps and if not done right you will have rattles and not to mention the finish after rolling the edge, Ive seen one apprentice finish a skin and it was worse then it came in

For $200 i would pay that even knowing how to do it

Good Luck mate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.