Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq td42 patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had a Keas Stage II valve body and Keas Torque converter installed by a local shop in Perth, gearbox is fairly fresh from a recent build and drove fine on the way to the shop. After valve body and TC was installed During the workshop test drive the auto would’ve shift out of 1st.
called Keas (but today is a public holiday no answer).
ok shop thinks the valve body supplied is for a ZD and mines a TD ( I didn’t think there was any differences in valve bodies anyway) so he changed the solenoids over, that didn’t change a thing, puzzled and blaming the new Keas valve body he then refitted the original Valve body,test drove and it shifted fine, ( he then concluded saying ok send the valve body back as it must be that. I started to drive home got 40 kms fuelled up then When I started it up the gearbox would not shift out if first ( the same as when the new valve body was in!
Sounds like something wasn’t plugged in properly? Any thoughts would be appreciated guys as I’m 400 km from home and need the car back on road

·
Registered
nissan gq td42 patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So it turned out to be Valve body contamination from excessive wear of the clutches. Full clean of everything and off I went!
Only 800km later now it won’t shift into 3rd. Suspecting the gearbox may need a rebuild.
however this problem could of been caused when the new flex plate was installed, of the torque converter setback clearance hasn’t been set up correctly the converter may be fouling in the pump, creating contamination that makes its way into the valve body blocking it from shifting. I’ll disassemble tomorrow and check setback clearance.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
It was a strange one, a bit hard to get a diagnosis when there has been so much going on with it, sounds like you could be on top of it now.

·
Registered
nissan gq td42 patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a strange one, a bit hard to get a diagnosis when there has been so much going on with it, sounds like you could be on top of it now.
Thats it mate, were not at the bottom of this yet! haha ill keep an update hopefully my misfortune can help someone in the future!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,204 Posts
Thats it mate, were not at the bottom of this yet! haha ill keep an update hopefully my misfortune can help someone in the future!
And that is the key. Look forward to the resolution.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,459 Posts
Gee I joined this group to get others opinions and help.....
Well maybe you’d get ‘others opinions and help’ if you didn’t ask technical questions in the classified adds section where hardly anyone would see it.

I’m surprised this wasn’t deleted like all other non template adds.

·
Registered
nissan gq td42 patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well maybe you’d get ‘others opinions and help’ if you didn’t ask technical questions in the classified adds section where hardly anyone would see it.

I’m surprised this wasn’t deleted like all other non template adds.
Thanks mate new to the site had no idea how to post in the right place, thanks for your help

·
Registered
nissan gq td42 patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update: Took the pan off and it was full of that dreaded black schmutz also the oil smelt bad, considering it has only done 800 kms since all new fluids. I decided to contact Paul at KEAS Transmissions & Components for a new box, he's built me a GU based box as they've got a few little mods from factory that make them superior to the older GQ box, I chose to include a fair amount of Billet parts as I don't want to be going through gearbox dramas anytime soon together with KEAS stage II valve body and a new Tow modded converter from TCE. once my new trans cooler gets here ill do the swap, I'm expecting a week or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts