Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a few requests from members asking for some help with setting up the Compushift on RE5 autos fitted behind the TD42. These conversions appear to be becoming more popular, so more people are needing help. The main thread has a lot of info on the installation and set-up of the RE5 and Compushift TCU, so I thought any discussion on tuning would be good to have separate. Make it a bit easier to find.

As discussed in the conversion thread, as far as I am concerned the Compushift is necessary to make the conversion work well, and any factory Patrol TCU will be of little use. I stand by this opinion, and so this thread will be dedicated to Compushift info only.

So the bad news is that I cannot supply anyone with my Compushift tuning file for them to load up, and drive off happy. The tuning files have a lot of base data in them that will be specific to each vehicle. A good example of this is diff ratio and tyre size, although there are other similar parameters to be done as well as these. Also pressures need to be adjusted to make shifts smooth and this is important for the life of your gearbox. A smooth, quick shift reduces wear. Shifts that feel like a 1975 Trimatic that has never had an oil change, will increase wear. It may mean another 100,000km on the life of your gearbox, according to Wholesale Automatics. These pressures need to be adjusted for fine tuning for each vehicle. So the tuning file cannot be swapped from one vehicle to another.

The good news is that your base settings should only need to be done once, and that the pressures can be adjusted by Wholesale Automatics via Data Logging. Basically, you do a data log and send them the data via email, and they can make adjustments to correct anything that is out of spec. Before data logging was available, I tried doing the adjustments myself, but without luck. When data logging became available, it was then sorted out fairly quickly.

So once that is sorted out, you will need to think about your gearshift points, and also your TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) settings. Much of this is personal preference, with Rodney from Wholesale telling me that he likes his different to one of the other staffers there. There are no set "rules" for some of this stuff, so you can adjust it to suit your vehicle, and its application. No doubt a weekend warrior bush vehicle is going to be set very different from a long distance tourer. In my case, I have my RE5 set up with an A and a B mode, with each selected by a momentary switch, just like the TCC lockup switch that comes with the standard kit. So I have two tuning files, and can pick what suits best at the time. And the differences between the two maps is a small difference in the 5th gear shift points, but mainly it is the TCC settings that are different. Yes, it makes that much difference. If you had a light load on board, on a fairly flat road, then the basic TCC settings and 5th gear shifts that Wholesale use work very well. But if you are loaded up, and the road is simply going from one hill to another, then the box changes gear and the TCC locks and unlocks on every hill you go up. This can get tiring quickly. Wholesale Autos suggest that in manual mode these problems are avoided, and that manual mode essentially covers any situation that the auto tuning file does not. This is correct, no doubt about it. But it means that on that up-and-down road, I would be using manual mode the whole time. With two modes, I simply select the B mode which has different settings to cover this type of road well, and I drive using auto mode. Happy days. And your B mode could be anything you wanted. Offroad specific, towing specific, or as I have done, whatever you like. Having the use of B mode is not a standard feature, so you will need to request it when ordering the Compushift. The only extra cost is the switch, which was about $35 from memory.

You will quite likely find yourself wanting to make some fine adjustments at some point. Having a good knowledge of how to make changes yourself will make this fairly easy. I use a 10" tablet using Bluetooth for my Compushift, and at this point data logging can only be done by using a computer and a USB connection to the Compushift. At this stage the data logging done via Bluetooth is not useful, as the data connection is too slow. Maybe in future updates it will be better. Maybe in an emergency you could use your phone for tuning, but the small screen would be very difficult. My 10" tablet works well, and my laptop I use for any data logging needed. But as an early user of this conversion, I have had to do more stuff than others will need to do now. Some bugs have been ironed out as we went along in development, and more changes are under way now.

A final word on the gear shift points. The base tuning file supplied with your Compushift is generic, and is not suited to a diesel engine like the TD42. Perhaps with a 2.0L twin turbo diesel it may be closer, but on the TD42 it is not even close. The differences between the base map, and one that Wholesale set up for a drive in- drive out customer is very different. You will need to do your own, and at this stage the base map is not close. It is possible that Wholesale do this you make you follow the step by step set-up. If the map was close, some people would just drive it without fine tuning, but the base map forces you to do it properly, as it is basically unusable. So the key to your gear shift tuning is moving the full throttle points back from the petrol engine settings that come standard. Because this causes it to not change gear, as it is waiting for 5000rpm and the engine does not operate there normally. So get your full throttle shifts all set below 4000rpm - mine are at about 3800rpm from memory. You can then adjust the rest of the graph to suit this new max point fairly easily. This will be the biggest change you need to get you started. The Compushift uses speed, not revs, as the shift points, but you will soon work out what speeds you need to get below 4000rpm. If you have some special engine that revs to 6500 rpm then you can move them higher! LOL.

Once you have done this, it will be a lot closer to diesel spec and you can do some further adjustments. Best way to work out where you want it to shift is to use manual mode. Note your throttle position and speed that you want a shift at, and then adjust your tuning file to match this point. As an example - you are in auto mode, driving normally at about 30% throttle, and instinct tells you it should be changing gear and it doesn't, and you have to wait longer than is needed. Note that throttle position and speed, and then load the new data for that gear shift.

No doubt there will be more info to add to this topic. And at some point TCC settings will need to be covered too, as there is a lot to work out for your preferences in this regard.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a screenshot of a speed table from the Compushift. I do not have a base map handy, but rest assured the speeds were a lot higher than what I have now. This is only showing part of the info available. So this shows upshifts on my A map, plus 4-5 only from the B map. The rest of the B map and all downshifts are left off to make the table more easily understood.

As you can see, you have a graph with speed and throttle percentage. So at each throttle percentage you can select the speed for the gear change you want. You can see them listed on the numeric table on the right. The RPM points listed are for gear shaft speeds, so you cannot use them to make any adjustments - they are NOT engine RPM. You have two basic ways to make a change, by actually moving each point on the graph where you see a dot, or by going to the table and changing the number. There are also more ways to make changes, not shown here. But basically you can change one point and then bring the other in to line in a couple of ways. Can speed things up a bit. But that is the basics of how it works. And these settings below will be a good base point for any TD42.

However, I have my 4-5th gear changes set higher than some people may like. With a manual gearbox I do not drive along in 5th gear at 60kmh. So I want the auto to be similar. Wholesale Auto's will set your 4-5th gear change much lower than I have mine, and I think this would be similar to most factory boxes. But it does not suit me, so I have mine set higher. The two top lines on the graph are 4-5th in A mode, and B mode. So I have a choice. With that B mode difference is also a change to the TCC settings as well. But I will cover that separately.

Light Rectangle Product Black Slope
not

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other adjustment I wanted to cover is the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC). This will lock and unlock automatically depending on your settings. In conjunction with this you will have the manual lock up switch, just the same as is used on the RE4. I think that is self explanatory, so no need to discuss that further. The settings for the automatic function is what I wish to discuss.

The screen shot below shows the changes you can make, and the top 3 settings are the ones that caused me some issues. In my case it was not easy to set up, with Wholesale Automatics not familiar with my issues. They had not encountered the problems I was having, and in the end their tech guru that does this stuff made the effort to drive my vehicle to understand it. Basically, the torque of my engine was raising tuning limitations not seen before. It was data logged, and in the next software update changes to the tables we see below are likely, to allow more variables to be taken into account. In the interim, I have B mode set with different TCC settings, so that I have two options. You can see I have TCC Max throttle A set at 50%. This means at 50% throttle the TCC unlocks. Wholesale Automatics commonly use 70% here, but with my engine you can drive up big hills with less throttle than that, and then it does not unlock when it should be. So 50% helps with this, but when towing or overtaking it can be too low. Also, there is no differential built in, so it will lock and unlock if you vary the throttle slightly. Updates should help with this. So you will need to see what works for you.

The next thing to consider is what gear do you want lock up to start in. I am using 4th gear as you can see, but it can be set to lock in 2nd gear. So you set your speed to 30kmh (as an example) and TCC Enable Gear to "2" and it will lock in 2nd and stay locked until you slow down again, or your throttle position goes above your set limit. Locking the TCC early can "feel" good, as it is like a manual, with lower engine revs and a bit less corresponding engine noise of course. However, I think this is a mistake, as it negates some of the benefits that the torque converter has.

As an example, I have a local secondary road that I use to test suspension and gearbox operation. It is slow and windy and up and down (and bumpy - good for shock testing). With the manual box I would drive it in 4th, and when in a slow bit that really needed 3rd gear I would stay in 4th and just lug over the hill with extra throttle, and no doubt some black fuel smoke. Of course there is not much throttle response when you do this. In the auto, with the torque converter working as it should, it drives the entire road in 4th easily, with no extra throttle needed, no lugging, no black smoke, and instant throttle response if you need it. Lock the TCC like a manual box, and then you lose this benefit. The auto does this job well, as long as you have it set properly. Make sure you let the TCC do it job, and be unlocked when it needs to be. People that have driven autos for years may do this without thinking, but if like me you are used to the manual, it is easy to fall into the trap of trying to make the auto the same.

And of course with a B Mode you can have two lots of settings to cover an alternate circumstance. You can see my B Mode settings are slightly different, but this is quite noticeable on the road, especially when in conjunction with different gearshift points. You can set these parameters to operate in Manual mode as well too if you like, or leave them only for Auto mode. So there is a lot to get right.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Technology

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts