Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide some feedback on the charge rates being achieved with their Thumper 50Amp charge kit?

Charging my 110ah I am only getting 8-10amps max in mine mounted in the back of my 4.8 Patrol.

They claim up to 50amps charge through it but with 6mm wire (11awg) over 6m this from what I have read does not seem realistic.*(I found this table handy:*http://www.redarc.com.au/images/uploads ... ksheet.pdf)

I am tossing up ditching it and installing some much bigger 6 or 3 guage wire to try get it to charge at a faster rate.*

Others experiences would be appreciated.*

Thanks

James

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
I always though the alternator was the fastest way to charge up an AUX battery to 80% then use a dc to dc to charge the last 20%. I too struggle to see how a 6mm wire can carry 50A over 6 meters, if the current is not making it to the charger how can it make current from nothing.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Depending on your battery type and state of charge, it maybe all the amps it will accept. Some types of battery chemistries change internal resistance as the state of charge changes. Lookup the battery manufacturer for info on your specific battery.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Depends what charge rate your battery will accept.

All batteries have an internal resistance - you can hook up a 100A charger but that won't charge any faster than a 25A if the battery can only accept say 20A max.

There is a law which states that aux batteries never charge fast enough while always discharging too fast :)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
How dead is the battery you are trying to charge? Lead acid batteries will not accept a lot of charge once they are 70% or so full. If you want to test the setup put a large load on the battery while charging and test the charge rate.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies.

It is a thumper AGM battery pack.

http://thumper.com.au/thumper-specifications.html

6-10amp is when flat or close to flat ie 12v

It drops further as it gets close to full.

They are meant to be able to take 30amps and claim 2-3 hours to fully charge from the car charger which would be even more.

Either the battery is farked or the charging system is not good enough.

It would be good to hear from someone else running one of these packs experience.

James

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi Skytroll, I am not sure what you think the “50 amp” Thumper Charge kit is?

It is nothing more than a small current capacity isolator.

It has what would appear to be a maximum current handling capacity of just a 50 amps.

As for the 6mm cable ( 4.5mm2 wire ), thats next to useless over distances of more than a metre, so would probably be the cause of your low charging capacity.

Running something like 6B&S ( 13.5mm2 ) will most definitely improve your charging capacity but do not use that isolator to try to charge a high current charging type battery, like a Yellowtop.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah mate its just a "dumb" style isolator switched by the ignition. It came with the battery pack so I used it.

Its hard to believe a battery manufacturer would sell a car charging kit with its product and claim it will charge it from empty in 2-4 hours if it can't.

I was hoping someone on here would have one working properly and mine was faulty.

Looks like I will be rewiring with some decent guage.

Cheers

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts